Slow Task Execution

nuxdrozd

My Suite 2009 has slowed to the point that executing any command takes multiple, double-digit seconds and my "dream house" file size has ballooned to 188Mb.  I don't import any imagery other than the architectural fixtures resident in the software's library.  I'm running it on an HP TouchSmart 610, Win 7, i5-2400, 3.10GHz, 8Gb RAM, 64-bit processing.  The situation has reached the point where I no longer enjoy using the program.  Advice?

The larger the plan in Mb the the more stress it places upon your PC, you either must get a stronger PC or Mac or keep your plans smaller. In my twenty years of use, I have only had a couple of plan files that large (a 1,000,000 spuare Hotel and a large, seven building commercial development). For the last 15 years, I custom build my PC's to stand up to heavy use.

You might also look at cleaning-maintaining your PC in terms of defragmentation of the hard drive, scaning for malware, virus etc, that also helps speed up performance.

DJP

My guess would be that the Laptop's video Card is fairly slow and has a small dedicated ram buffer eg 256mb, ( or shared) so on a file that large it has issues as it can't swap images in and out fast enough in 3D , you could try turning down all the graphic options in Preferences>Render Tab and use Vector View not Standard View.

An upgrade to Suite 2015 may help in this case as the newer versions now support Intergrated Graphics such as the Intel HD 4000 chip . You can download a trial version I think and try it perhaps...

Thank you both for the inputs.  I'll see if they work.  Obviously larger files will slow the computer's execution.  However, there's no good reason why my plan should be so large, especially in light of David's experience.  My previous version of this software did the same: slowed over time to the point that it was unusable.  It's as though the software never removes any details, but simply overwrites them and increases the file size.

You can always zip (compress) a plan file and share it with Tech Support for them to analyze and that would be your best bet at a useful answer. I use this software to make my living and so I try to learn and avoid doing things that bloat the plan file unnecessarily or that cuase it to be unstable because my familiy's well being is on the line. I have never had a plan or project that I did not finish succesfully but sometimes they were completed on my intention and will to do so, though this is very rare in my experience, it has happened a couple of times on very large, very complex projects.

DJP

Do you have a lot of Saved Cameras in the Plan file ?  any thing 3D will add to the file size , bad model/items of #D Warehouse is another one. 

just trying to think what would bloat up a plan like that since you say you don't use models other than HDS ones....

M.

• 6 years later...

General question/comment...this thread was the closest I could find.  Could it be certain operations cause the software to do something unexpected like divide by zero?  I've notice that when I do something stupid with elevations my file size blows up causing the execution to slow.  I seem to have trouble with retaining walls that have nothing to retain, i.e., no different elevations on either side of the retaining wall.