16' x 16' footprint Farmhouse challenge

Perkins47

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like you, personally I'd go single level if I had the Room to do it too , single level living is so much easier and there's not need of the expense of a second bathroom upstairs either.

Might be different if I was building this 1st , and it would become a Guest Cottage after the Main House was Built but I don't see the need myself for Tiny....Smaller well designed houses yes , I don't see any need for "McMansions" .....

It's supposed to be raining, but I'm seeing more blue sky than rain, so i guess I'll go do some work.

Here is the single floor version. 488 sq ft, so it's not real small. I'd want more storage and counter space for a full time place, but for a vacation place this would work OK.

post-171-0-85187500-1440617625_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-25020300-1440617640_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-60963900-1440617658_thumb.jpg

Try bumping the kitchen sink wall back  to the bedroom Window (and rotating the Fridge 90 deg anti-clockwise...)  and then squaring off that right hand corner with the Kitchen eating nook Wall  , perhaps Eat at a peninsular cabinet instead too?

Try bumping the kitchen sink wall back  to the bedroom Window (and rotating the Fridge 90 deg anti-clockwise...)  and then squaring off that right hand corner with the Kitchen eating nook Wall  , perhaps Eat at a peninsular cabinet instead too?

I was trying to stay true to the original design and just add a 1st floor bedroom. If I start bumping, pushing and rotating it becomes a different house. But I agree, a little more space could make a big difference.

What, no laundry room?  I kid ... I kid ... :)

More seriously, consider having room or a place for the mechanicals (i.e., hot water heater, HVAC, etc.); that stuff doesn't automatically happen.

Having space for a stacked washer/dryer would be an improvement, and something I'd want for extended stay.

Mechanicals are important, but what to allow room for? Around here hot water often comes from a 20 gallon unit in a corner under a kitchen cabinet. Forced air systems are ducted in the crawlspace.

For a place like this a ducted mini split system would be perfect. 

• 2 years later...