With Windows 10 imminent...

Keith_K

..and from what I have read on discussions elsewhere it would seem that my HD 2014 Pro software will not work properly on the new platform and is therefore redundant with a lot of work that I have done and the dosh it cost me to buy down the drain.

I expect to hear quite soon as to when my Windows 10 download from MS will be available to me so I have been weighing up my options which, for someone whose pension/income is a mere $234 a week, are seemingly severely limited. :angry:

1. HD Pro 2016 @ £296/$462 - too expensive as I can't not eat for two weeks.

2. HD Architectural 2016 @ £125/$195 which I could try and save for over 5 weeks or so.          (Strangely this is only a few of Pounds less than what I paid for HD Pro in 2014)

3. Giving up the hobby I love.

Some of you will know the sort of work I do using my current software.  Will I be able to do anything anywhere near it using Architectural?

And if my impressions about the compatibility between Windows 10 and my current software are wrong please don't shout at me!  I have only been out of hospital for a few days after having a couple of heart attacks and am feeling somewhat sensitive and emotional. :(

I upgraded to Windows 10 last Wednesday, after the upgrade I checked how my all applications ran. I have Chief Premier versions X1-X7 and all Home Designer titles, versions 10-2016 on that PC. All work perfectly before and after the upgrade. I carefully checked my PC's hardware and applications for compatibility and was given a clean bill of health by Microsoft which so far has been true. No problems at all other than just learning where everything is etc. I like the new OS very much. DJP

Yep hope you are feeling better Keith , just been in myself too actually ,still got a Holter Monitor strapped on actually. 

So far I haven't read of any major issues with Windows 10 , I have been waiting to see if there were any snafu's but the Upgrade Utility has cleared my PC same as it did David's , though  I wasn't too concerned as everything I had read points to the fact that if it worked under Win7 it is almost guaranteed to Work in Win 10. CA has stated they only support 2016 on win 10 but that was expected anyway.... 

M.

Thank you for your reassurances about Windows 10. I don't feel so vulnerable now. Jo-Ann I don't have access to Chieftalk. :(

Thank you too for wishing me well with my recovery. It was all so out of the blue being woken up at 01:30 in the morning with what I thoughts was indigestion which the usual remedies didn't ease, then thinking it was my temperamental sternum which has given me pain at times ever since my heart bypass surgery in 1998 but which didn't ease off after taking painkillers and finally realising at 03:45 that there really was something very wrong with me. Fortunately the paramedics were here 10 minutes after I raised the alarm followed, five minutes later, by an ambulance and I was soon in the critical cardiac unit at my local hospital. The following morning I had an angiogram followed by an angioplasty during which a stent was inserted.

Mick, I hope your monitoring doesn't find anything serious. Am holding thumbs for you.

KB-00073: What Operating Systems Does Home Designer Run on?

Only the current Home Designer 2016 programs look like they are supported on Windows 10. 

Historically, people have been able to try running on newer versions of Windows than their programs were supported under, but ran in to issues (especially with camera display due to video card drivers) the more updates that Microsoft released for the new version.

If you don't have a compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 10, it would probably be worth waiting and save up for the next sale on Home Designer upgrades.

• Upvote 5

All the best to you too Keith , hope you are feeling better , and able to enjoy your favourite Hobby :)

Hopefully you can save up for the latest version or get family to put if for your Xmas Present this yr , as every year you don't upgrade it gets more expensive to do so.

there is no rush for Win10 , it is free for 1 yr , so you don't need to be a "beta tester" for them if you don't want to be....I let my Win8.1 Notebook update as I hate 8.1 and it is much more like Win7 "under the hood" than I thought it would be especially with "Tablet Mode" off.

Same User ID and Password at ChiefTalk  Keith , plenty to read and Learn too...always a Daily Visit ( or 3) for me...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/forum/7-general-q-a/

Well, yesterday afternoon I bit the bullet and did 2½ hours of navel gazing while Windows 10 installed itself on my machine.  As mentioned by David the installation was trouble free.  I have, however, found that the settings are not user friendly (which is par for the course as I am not a computer geek) and I loathe having to enter a password every time I start my computer.

I am also quite pee'd off that Microsoft has deemed that, when I upgrade, it will disable the Nvidia graphics card I bought particularly for use with my HD product and install something inferior in it's place.  When viewing my plans I have found that they have lost the sharpness and clarity I obtained with the Nvidia product and I can't find anything in the Win 10 settings which will allow me to set the Nvidia card as the default.

I might just have to pay for a professional computer person to come and sort things out for me. :angry:

I am also mightily displeased that when installing Win 10 Pro the games that I had with Win 7 Pro (Mahjong, Solitaire, FreeCell and Chess) have been obliterated.  I played these games every night before going to bed as a means of clearing my mind.  Apparently there are "apps" which you can get from the "store" but I have had a look at some alternatives and don't really like them.  I loved the simplicity of the games I had before.  :(

I am seriously considering going back to Win 7.

Hi Keith glad to see you are doing well :)  , you had a couple of us wondering......

The Nvidia thing is a problem for some but installing the proper Windows 10 Driver they released fixes it for most people , they actually recommend installing it before you upgrade so that doesn't happen

here is the download page http://www.geforce.com/drivers

fill in the info in the Manual search box for your Nvidia Card including UK English etc and you should be offered a download to Driver Version 353.62

if you don't know the info , you could try the Auto Update above the Manual Search box.

if you are still unsure post the make and model of the card from the Box or receipt and I will find a link to the driver for you...

I had heard that about the Games , do some googling , it's likely someone has figured out how to get them back from the Win7 DVD.

Hi Mick,

I am doing well, thank you.  Tend to panic slightly if I feel as much as a tiny twinge in my chest, most of which are probably quite natural for people of a certain age, but I'll probably get over it. :rolleyes:  I hope that your results were positive once the monitor had been removed and analysed. 

Thanks for the tip about the Win 10 Nvidia driver.  I couldn't find it but I installed their Ge Force Experience tool which did the update for me and I now have the version number you quoted.

I still find the resolution isn't as good as it was on Win 7.  The numerals of the dimensions seem unduly large, the colour contrasts within the walls have diminished and the whole look of the window and the toolbars etc. seems to have regressed from being the sharp and professional look it once was to something resembling a very early version of Windows.  I have attached a pic of what my screen looks like now.  I did try and find an image of what it looked like previously as a comparison but of course Windows 10 changes those too.

Now that the proper driver has been installed I wonder whether it would be worth my while to try and re-install Win 10 to see if it makes any difference?

But who am I to have a gripe about a Microsoft product?  I am a mere mortal and they are the gods of operating systems.  Or so they think.  :ph34r:  

post-52-0-57081100-1439208902_thumb.jpg

Still don't have my Results or a diagnosis but appreciate the good thought Keith , I know what you mean about the Chest twinges though or even a bit of indigestion.

I forgot about Geforce Experience as I don't usually let it install, glad that did it...

right Click the desktop and open Nvidia Control Panel and add HD Pro on the Manage 3D settings> Programs Tab

post-25-0-82086300-1439243182_thumb.png

and try these settings

post-25-0-64549100-1439243194_thumb.pngpost-25-0-34361200-1439243237_thumb.png

I would also check you Prefs.> Render Tab            and make sure it is correct too , let the Nvidia Card do the rendering ,so try turning off Software Edge Smoothing and see if it helps ...see pic.

post-25-0-60331700-1439243417_thumb.jpg

I did some fiddling with the screen resolution yesterday and got a better "look" by using the recommended monitor setting but this had an effect on some other things like elongating pictures and stuff.

post-52-0-37579000-1439296610_thumb.jpg

So I have just followed the instructions in your Nvidia setting suggestions, Mick, and got what I think is probably the best I will be able to achieve. Thank you.

post-52-0-05374500-1439296631_thumb.jpg

I've also changed the screen resolution back to what it was before and it doesn't make any difference to the new look of the plans but does de-elongate pictures so I'll stick with it.

Now to do some work. I must finish the garage conversion. I really must. :blink:

Check that you are using the exact monitor you have in Device Manager , not PNP Monitor which is M$ DEFAULT DRIVER and in NV CP make sure you are using you monitor's default resolution ( sometimes called native resolution ).

It is NV 1st Win10Driver so things should only get better in the next few months i'd think. 

M.

Mick, it's the recommended monitor setting of 1920x1080 that causes the elongation of pictures and things on other sites like Facebook and of the icons on my desktop. ;)

Using a 1600x1200 screen resolution setting makes it all go away so I guess a simple solution would be to use the recommended setting when I am working on plans and the other when I am not.

Wot? :ph34r:

Did you check Device Manager to see if the Proper monitor is installed?  and that the monitor's menu says the same as window's does about the Resolution.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "elongation" but it should effect everything , not just pics etc

1920 x1080 is consider 16:9 ratio I think which is a widescreen ration while 1600x1200 is 4:3 ratio or Letter box (same as older TV's)

have you always been on 1600x1200 and windows 10 is now using the Native resolution and you just aren't used to it perhaps?

bunch of win 10 tutorials  here if you need to check something out

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/04/windows-10-tutorials-34-changing-the-display-resolution/

This is just a  add on to the post.

If you get error code 12 - The device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Try this.   find cmd.exe and right click, click run as administrator, then type  bcdedit/ set pciexpress forcedisable

Close and reboot.

This is just a  add on to the post.

If you get error code 12 - The device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Try this.   find cmd.exe and right click, click run as administrator, then type  bcdedit/ set pciexpress forcedisable

Close and reboot.

Would that not slow the GFX Card down?  ie disabling PCIE

Kbird,

All I read sofar points to Nvidia Cards only.

I had this problem when I installed Windows10. The software disabled my Nvidia card (windows did not detect the card) and replaced it with a Basic video adapter.

You could not change settings or change adapters. I think what it does is undo what windows did, with the fix my Nvidia card works fine now. I think that if you

disable the PCie port the PCie card would not work.