Roofs, roofs, and more roofs

Rapidnurse

Thanks Solver but, no. I want the plan that JoAnn and Kbird posted. It's called a portico. Be warned, it appears that it's not easy to do on a one (1) story plan. Instructions on the website are not there on how to do this on a one story.

Could you be specific about which image you are talking about?

Is it the one in post #25?

What specifically is incorrect with my plan?

Just trying to understand exactly what you are trying to model.

I'm using Pro to create something for others to produce in Architectural.

Here is a basic plan.  Not knowing what your own settings are  (dimensions, ceiling heights, roof pitches),  you will most likely need to play with a lot of your settings to get it to work. 

The 'L' room on the right creates a problem for the porch roof.  A workaround is shown.

I hope this plan opens in HDA16 the same way it looks in HDA10.  Sometimes they don't.

At least it should give you a starting point, and some ideas.

HDA2015 will not open a HDA 2016 file, so I couldn't see what your settings are.

porch roof.plan

if you use  invisible walls to make the roof build where you want it and what size , as I mentioned in post #21 , you can have almost anything you want, and is one of Jo's favorite tricks too.  After turning off auto roof build in the roof build DBX , you then either delete the invisible walls or draw over them or convert them to railings ( if your version allows it) ,or add walls if wanted for your front door bumpout ,windows etc under the roof.  only issue is you can't turn Roofs on again so you need a plan going in.

here are 2 plans I did in HDA 9 (2007?) so anyone should be able to open them , showing the 1st stage (RP), then I did a save as (RP2), as a backup and continued with the Project in the new plan, these should give you a good idea how to use this trick I hope. 

Portico Plan RP.plan

Portico Plan RP2.plan

Mick.

Thanks Kbird, Boy have I learned a lot! Since, I'm used to doing interiors, roofs never seemed to phase me . I was just looking at YouTube's Chief's "creating a portico" and it does show how to use the invisible walls. Although I'm limited as what I can do with my HD since I don't have CA, it did provide some insight. Here's what I wasn't quite understanding when you all said to keep the build roof unchecked, I thought that when I built the roof that I was supposed to check it!! :huh: Duh!Or it wouldn't build. Duh! Duh!! You can actually continue to build the roof without checking the "build roof. :wacko: I was able to download your second plan but not the first. So, after all this study from you and JoAnn, I finally have it! Whew!

Thank you both! I'll post both our plans together, there is some slight difference in the roofs. (Kbird's on the left, mine on the right)

post-1695-0-44086000-1438636052_thumb.jpg

I just checked and both plans above download and open fine ...... perhaps try again...

That isn't my house on the left , ........ you been playin'  :)

post-25-0-98529000-1438640268_thumb.jpg

***  @ Jo.......I think they were just practicing in My plan Jo_Ann ,which is why it isn't like the earlier house's posted.

I wasn't aware of that video actually, but other than the curved ceiling I don't think I saw too much you couldn't do....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON3IuUlBtJk

That is a pretty basic situation , however you do see her turn off the Auto Build in the Roof DBX and then move the walls as needed under the Roof once it was built. She would run into an issue if she turned the Roof Build DBX back on to fix or do another roof somewhere else in the Project, eg a detached garage , which She doesn't explain, as the rest of that Project appears to be complete. The advantage in CA or Pro is that you have manual Roofs too which can be used afterwards if needed.

Now that I look at your plan RP , I am wondering what the issue is actually as it looks pretty close , I fixed the wall on the RH end and specified the porch area as a porch , made a few fixes we discussed earlier in the thread (making attic walls invisible) , and making some of your railing not invisible with beams, turned off the Ceilings and it looks pretty good once I added the stairs and a slab to make it look like a porch . (slab so posts appear to be on porch not overhanging it's edge)

you may need to explain again what is wrong in the Roof Tester plan you posted?

post-25-0-48532800-1438646689_thumb.jpg

Okay, you guys. You know the very first picture that I posted, the blue house? That is not what I wanted. I was trying to get the other picture that I posted beside it. However, I did want it on a one story home. If Jo Ann had of told me that she put the long part of the railing (roof) in 3:12, that would have been it. But I'm glad that we took the route that we did because I learned a lot about roofs.

I'll post the before and after pics. I painted the edge of the roof so you all can see the difference. Wow! This posting is HOT! Way to go you guys! :rolleyes:

post-1695-0-76749800-1438658014_thumb.jpg  What it was.

post-1695-0-09779800-1438658048_thumb.jpg What I wanted.

Oh, and Kbird, I did play around with your house.

Oh, one more thing. After following your house exactly that is what came out. Drawing them side by side changed your roof. The only thing I did was paint it a different color. That's what I thought you were talking about.  I went back and tried yours again, but I could not get it with your roof pitches.  I don't understand why. So when I posted the picture of both houses that is how the program changed your roof.  The only way I got  my roof was to change the long side of the railing's pitch to 3:12. You kept yours at 8:12, and 8:12 doesn't work on my program.

Solver, the whole point was to practice on how to get a portico. That is the house that I practiced on, I don't really care about that particular house. It really was something quick to upload. My very first post (picture) showed the problem that I was having in trying to achieve that.

ok now I know why my house looked different , you had to turn the Auto Roof build back on to get a roof on your house ......which you can't do ...or it will (may) mess up existing roofs in the plan.... which it has done in this case. 

The reason you see 8/12 on my railing is because my roof was built at 4/12 with invisible walls and then the Roof Build was turned off , so the directive in the railing dbx means nothing.... you would see the true pitch in the 1st plan (RP) but you can turn on roof labels (Display Options) and see the true pitch of the roof planes if needed.

post-25-0-80313800-1438711261_thumb.jpg