Roofs, roofs, and more roofs

Rapidnurse

It seems there are more questions about roofs than any other. This is a simple one and before anyone points me in the direction of all the roof dialogue I've been there. I just wanted to know if this roof could be accomplished in HD Arch 16. I've followed all the instructions but it just doesn't seem possible.  I am more interested in the "hole" (for lack of a better word) part of the roof as shown.

HD Arch 16

post-1695-0-18061900-1438376930_thumb.jpg    post-1695-0-46470700-1438376955_thumb.jpg

I wasn't sure what you meant either,  so I replicated the pic you showed,  with no problems.

At least this shows that it can be done in HDA 16 ( or probably any title or version).

As Kbird suggested, a wall break was used for the small porch gable over the stairs.

post-63-0-71698300-1438387137_thumb.jpg

all we did was place a wall break in the Railing  and the section of wall in front of the Front Door we marked "Full Gable" and the other part is left at default (hip), in my case at 4/12 pitch

the LH end of the porch is left as a Hip (default) , in my case at 5/12

the RH end of the Porch is marked "Full gable" in my case too 

if you don't want the gable wall that is possible too , just delete the Attic wall that makes the gable wall (sometimes you need to delete it twice in a row and agree to error message), then set the porch room to have no ceiling and use Soffit for ceiling instead.

post-25-0-87870800-1438390243_thumb.jpg

You can extend the 'portico' out as far as you want to.  When you uncheck 'ceiling over this room', be sure to check 'use soffit for ceiling', because this will clean up the ceiling.

Also, if you want to leave auto roof on, (and not delete the room), specify the room as 'open below'.  That will get rid of the unwanted floor.

post-63-0-34535500-1438393106_thumb.jpg

If this is an existing house, post a good pic of the front.  Also post a pic of what progress you have made in HDA.

So MANY variables, need to see what is going on with your own example, in order to explain a plan of attack.  :ph34r:

JO is right RP , that's why we ask you to post YOUR PLAN as there are too many variables , just cos we can do it fairly easily in our Test Plans , things like heights ,widths , roof pitch etc all make a difference.

But you can use invisible walls to get the roof shape you want , then turn off Auto build Roof (forever) then you can add the walls ,windows etc etc back in and the Roof won't change shape , but because you can't turn roofs on ever again you need to make sure turning it off is the last thing you do with roofs in the Plan.

JO was right lots of finagling to make this look good without Roof Tools .....

post-25-0-35143300-1438453926_thumb.jpg

Ok, Ms Ninja, here you are!   This is one that I had been working on, I tried to darken the roof so that you can distinguish it. It's the extension in this photo that I'm having the problem with, I get how to use the break tool and all that.  Sorry, Kbird..I don't know what you mean by posting my plan, forgive my ignorance do you mean my floor plan?

post-1695-0-78879300-1438461926_thumb.png

post-1695-0-94363700-1438461937_thumb.png

HD Arch16

Yes both I and Jo_Ann (aka Ms Ninja) wanted to look at you actual Plan File (floor plan) not more pics , though those help.

Make sure the Plan isn't open in HD  and then just attach the .plan file to the Forum post the same way you are attaching the Pics.

if needed click on the 2nd link in my forum signature below for a Pic and plan posting how too...

though I am not sure if Jo can open a 2016 version Plan?