How to move entire house on plan

joeflyer

I am trying to move the footprint of a mostly complete house plan to another position within the terrain perimeter. I have tried pulling a polyline tool around the entire structure which causes it to highlight the whole house but cannot find any move or rotate handles. I tried deleting the foundation and roof temporarily but still can't move the entire structure. Is there a simple way to accomplish this. I seem to remember seeing it demonstrated in one of the online video tutorials but can't remember which one it might have been in.

Whatever you have YOU NEVER MOVE OR ROTATE THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you do is to carefully rotate and move the terrain plane, its features and elevation objects relative to the house (the house stays put, always).

DJP

PS: you can move the house but I do not recommend this kind of thing, you never rotate it, not ever, not no how.

• 4 years later...

What Mick (K Bird) said above but specifically use this procedure:

Turn off all Terrain, features, roads-sidewalks-driveway layers. Figure out the exact distance you wish to move the copy of the structure, including its width. Then using "Edit Area -All Floors" command you marquee select the original structure and then while selected you click on the "Transform-Replicate" tool and from that tool's dialog you select the check box "Copy" and then "Move" and in its input box you input the distance you wish the copy to move and in what direction, then click on "OK" to complete the copy-move. If you mess up use the "Undo" command to start over.

DJP

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2015 at 12:28 AM, DavidJPotter said:

Whatever you have YOU NEVER MOVE OR ROTATE THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you do is to carefully rotate and move the terrain plane, its features and elevation objects relative to the house (the house stays put, always).

DJP

PS: you can move the house but I do not recommend this kind of thing, you never rotate it, not ever, not no how.

What is the easiest way to select all of the Terrain (and all associated terrain elements, such as roads, walls, etc) to move, rotate etc around the house.

Do you have to select each individual object (I have been doing it this way but keep missing some or they get hidden when larger objects are selected)  Is there any way to group objects - I am finding it difficult as I am used to layers which allow grouping without effecting other layers.

Steep learning curve but I am persevering  ;o)

PS: I have looked at Edit Area but do not have the option of All Floors......  ???

Open your "Display Options" dialog and turn off all layers for the structure (Walls Normal,Doors, Windows, Roof Planes etc) then you can "Marquee-Select" (press the "Shift Key" on your keyboard holding it down during the select and rotate process), then from a point outside of what is on screen you wrap a "Marquee Select" that encompasses all objects on screen which can, once selected, rotated relative to the structure. You can see the structure by turning on the "Reference Display" which should show you where the structure is without turning any of its layers.

DJP

• 1 year later...

Appreciate the walkthrough.  I was able move the house but it seemed to wrinkle my terrain a little bit.  Im sure Im missing something but I will keep playing with it.

So far this is AMAZING software and will be buying the full blown product soon.  But on something like this, I cant be the only one that thinks moving a house, dwelling etc, should be an easy task? I'm sure its all in the programming and more difficult than snapping fingers.

What I ran into is, building the house at lower elevation, (guesstimating the size) of the house and garage and now part of my garage is in my neighbors lot.  :) I'm sure he wont mind!
Anyway, this is a good group of guys and appreciate all the help I've received so far.
Jerrell