Roof Problems

CYoung

Working Home Des. 2016 and have 2 problems.  Can anyone help?

1. When I select a 5/12 pitch over a "Porch", it auto adjusts the overhang to more than 24".  It's not allowing me to change to a 12" overhang?

2. I have a gable end over garage doors that doesn't allow a roof return?  All other gable ends allow it but this one.  I tried recreating the garage and still doesn't work..

Suggestions would be great.  Thank you..

Welcome to the Forum. Certain ground rules better facilitates two-way communication between members. When posting a question you always need to also share what software title and version you are having the problem with (different titles have differing abilities). 

You cannot safely assume others will understand what your problems are without at least being able to view an image of what you are seeing, the best solution is to post a copy of your plan file so others that are interested, can download the file and see for themselves, what is wrong.

DJP

I'm running Arch. Home Designer 2016.  Attached is a plan view of the porch - note the overhang lines that I can't adjust.  Also attached is an elevation of the garage with the gable end.  Thanks.

post-3666-0-86760600-1437918976_thumb.jpg

post-3666-0-59853100-1437918978_thumb.jpg

Is there a way I can send it to you guys rather than the entire world?

Not really. But now that I know that you are using Architectural, I can say that a solution for your problem can be solved only by thinking out of the box and planning ahead. If you had Home Designer Pro you could easily adjust individual roof overhangs but with Architectural you must use "Temporary Walls" to guide the roof generator to a specific result and then remove the temporary walls after you achieve the effects you desire - you turn off auto-rebuild-roofs command in the "Build Roof" dialog and then delete the temporary walls once they no longer have a purpose. This is the only way I know of to exercise some direct control over roof overhang values in Architectural.

You draw a temporary wall where you want the roofs to build to and then once roofs are then built, you turn off "Auto Build Roofs" and then remove the temporary-guiding-wall.

DJP

PS: I know your plan is precious to you etc, but I assure you that those of us who have mastered the software, plans are a nickle a billion. My only interest in having the plan is to help you only.

To follow up with what David suggested.

I'm just guessing, but here is what I'd try.

Draw walls where I show red in the image. That will create a small room. Turn off roof over this room.

Build the roof. The overhang should move back. You will need to adjust the position of the walls to get the overhang correct.

post-171-0-78550200-1437935307_thumb.jpg

Hi CY , there is an article on Overhangs in the KB (below) but It sounds like you are aware of be able to set different overhangs on different walls, but I think you may have run into a "bug" I think I have seen before, the software is sometime a little "too smart" for it's own good and tries to line things up where it "thinks" it should be , no matter what we tell it , which is when David's invisible / temporary walls method becomes useful.

Your plan view and pic don't appear to match ....I think I see a valley in the pic on the extreme left but not in the plan view....

As Eric and David suggested looking at the actual plan is the best solution and the quickest way to get good answers , assuming it can be fixed and isn't a bug. It is difficult to advise further without seeing the specific plan that has the issue unless you can recreate the issue exactly in a test plan. You could do a Save As of the plan file and then delete EVERYTHING other than the roof problems and post it ...might work...

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00077/specifying-different-roof-overhangs-on-different-walls.html