how would you model this fence?

dcscca

Anybody have ideas how to model this wood and cable wire fence? (see attached pic)

I've failed completely so far. I tried checking the pony wall button in the Wall Types tab of Fencing Specification and defining the upper and lower portions separately, but my choices seem to have no effect - I don't get a two-part fence to play with. I also tried using the Railing feature rather than Fencing, thinking I'd insert the cables separately after creating a railing /fence with an open space between the top of the panels and the top of the posts, but I can't figure out how to control the post height independently of the paneled section height.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

it is possible to get close , with more manual work to make the lower wood 1x6 and 1x3's rails you could do it no problem I think , I did this one with the Library cable rail  AND the library Rail item ..ie I used two fences/railings and then two slabs to make the top 2x4 rail and 2x6 top cap.

I did this in 2016 trial to make sure it works

post-25-0-01397600-1436406955_thumb.jpg

Mick, thank you so much for your efforts - and great job, those fences you made are gorgeous! I tried to install them from your .calibz, but my HD Pro 2015 won't load them :-( ... I guess you must be using the HD 2016 version? I bet others will like having those models, in any case... and if/when I upgrade to 2016, I will import those for sure. In the meantime I created something that is not as elegant but more or less works (pics attached)... I did use your earlier suggestion to manually input several of the components instead of trying to get the built-in Fencing or Railing functions to do it for me. I used a soffit for the top rail, and the horizontal cylinder from the Geometric Shapes library for the cables. My result is not as elegant as yours, but I think it's nice enough to help the neighbors visualize what we'd like to do for a new fence down the property line....

Thank you again.

post-1493-0-55135700-1436413800_thumb.jpg

post-1493-0-83252200-1436413808_thumb.jpg

I didn't notice you had 2015 sorry , I actually used X7 (same as 2016)  to make the fence Symbol  , Pro can't make Symbols unfortunately, but not sure my two fences are worth the $99 upgrade  price :)  

The 1st one I posted is actually two fences stacked on each other , the trick is to check the box for retaining wall as well as railing for the lower part , this allows a second fence to be built on top ,    (normally it would be a stone fence for eg. with wrought iron on top)

so bottom fence was 24" high with solid panels set to Rails>horizontal

and the upper fence was set to 48" high with panels set to Cables , and the raise bottom rail setting at 24" too

and I used 2 Slabs set to Cedar color for the top caps.

the two fence technique is explain more in this Tutorial

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00996/