I need help with a breakfast bar

Radtech1

Go to solution Solved by Jo_Ann,

Home Designer Suite 2016 - Build 17.3.1.1x64

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

NVIDIA GeForce 210

8 GB RAM

Hi all,

I am a new user and I need help with a breakfast bar that I cannot figure out how to make.

I have attached the plan file and a jpg

I have managed to do a pretty convincing job of recreating my actual home in preparation of designing a kitchen remodel. I am not worried about planning plumbing or electrical as my contractor can do all that. The program is primarily to previsualize various ideas.

On of the ideas is a breakfast bar wrapping around an existing wall. The idea is for it to be part of the countertop.

I have tried the counter tool, but cannot get the shape I want.

I have tired the shelf tool, and that limits me to rectangles.

I have tried the line drawing tool under the CAD menu, and was able to draw the shape, but could not figure out how to convert that shape to an object.

The snapshot includes an "photoshopped" version of the bar I am looking to build.

Please help!

Thanks,

Matt Larson

post-3419-0-63577600-1436153934_thumb.jpg

House Ready 11 FINAL Lock.plan

I think in Suite you only have Shapes and Soffits to play with  , I think  in HDA there is the Custom countertop Tool , like Pro which I  have , but you maybe able to do it with a 1 1/2 thick cylinder and some rectangles merged together with the CTRL Key.

M. 

• Solution

Use a base cabinet set as a peninsula base.   In 3d window, drag the bottom of the cabinet all the way up to the bottom of the countertop.  Open the cabinet dbx/front tab.  Select and delete the toe kick.  Only the countertop should now remain.

Use a soffit for the narrow rectangle extension.

True :)  but you have to work with what you have available....

I was thinking in addition to your method rather than instead actually , as I wasn't sure why you suggested the rect. soffit for the straight part , and assumed that trick doesn't work on normal cabinets?

M.

Use a base cabinet set as a peninsula base.   In 3d window, drag the bottom of the cabinet all the way up to the bottom of the countertop.  Open the cabinet dbx/front tab.  Select and delete the toe kick.  Only the countertop should now remain.

Use a soffit for the narrow rectangle extension.

This worked and it was elegant. Thank you.

Matt Larson

Thanks Matt. Glad it worked for you. :)

Mick,

I used a soffit because it was quick.  Although, it would have been just as quick to copy/paste the altered cabinet countertop, and resize as needed.  I don't know if Suite has been given the ability to add molding to soffits, so in some instances it would be wise to copy/paste the existing countertop.  Reason being, some templates (Mediterranean Infuence) have molding already on the countertops, and a soffit would not match that.  You can see that in the example pic, done with the Mediterranean style cabinet.

P.S.  Any base cabinet will work.

post-63-0-88056300-1436245578_thumb.jpg

really nice Jo  , it always amazes me what you can do with HDA.... 

I used to use the "raise the cabinet" up trick to get Backsplashes behind free standing ranges not sure if it is needed in newer versions

Warrenwest just posted on another thread that 2016 versions now allow Soffit moulding to be turned off in the DBX too.

M.