Something strange is happening to some walls on my plan.

Keith_K

Being me you'll probably immediately think "So what's new?", but bear with me if you will.

I drew a double car port with a central dividing parapet wall, put corner pillars in and stuck the roofs on.  It was perfect.  Even if I say so myself. :P

Then, in my infinite wisdom, I decided that I would extend the carports to provide a storage room at the back and that's when the strangeness began.  In 2D it all looked good but when I did a full perspective 3D the walls which make up the storage rooms have become parapet walls the same height as the central dividing wall.  I want the roofs to go from front to back with no break or parapet at the back end

"No probs" saith I, and proceeded to try and drag them down to the correct level only to find that when I do that nothing whatsoever happens to the storage walls.  The dragging affects the walls of the two residential buildings instead!  At one stage of my futile attempts the dragging also sent the guttering of the carports like a black line right through the residential buildings and way down to the bottom of my screen.

I have to say that my software has been behaving in slightly odd ways over the past few days making me wonder whether it is about to crash on me.

Your thoughts please.

post-52-0-80688600-1436027837_thumb.jpg

Oaklands cottages 22.06.15.plan

I thank you.

Once you start playing with walls Keith , they are then unaffected by any further automatic work eg Roof Planes cutting them off , so you need to reset them to Default top (and default bottom if needed)

Either side of the Carport is a different room height , one on right is only 1600mm or so , the storage rooms are also different heights, so what are the true heights you need? I guess the central wall is a fire wall is it?

your manual roof planes have nearly no overhang which can cause issues too as Roof Plans ALWAYS cut walls, the overhang is measure to the back of the fascia off the framing so if its 0mm , the roof plane will cut the wall , you need the fascia outside the siding/stucco/brick ,not in it.

it's a pretty simple structure did auto roof not work? 

on the house I was given error messages about a broken wall, and there is actually a broken piece of wall under the break too , see pics.

I was also getting messages about misalignment of walls , which I guess is a issue with you sip walls again and what is your main layer etc, as none of the walls on the house are aligned with the basement ...according to the program....

post-25-0-41560500-1436034325_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-40068400-1436034340_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick.  Thanks for your response.

I have never ever noticed (or used) that default top option on the wall dialogue and I don't know what happened with those weird room heights but I used the default top option and corrected the room heights.  The central wall was intended to be a firewall, yes.

While I would have preferred the roof overhang to be almost flush with the walls I extended it slightly and managed to get this...

post-52-0-05020900-1436109446_thumb.jpg

....which also gave me this...

post-52-0-41915300-1436109472_thumb.jpg

No matter what I tried I could not persuade the software to let me get the central wall to end flush with the two end walls so I gave up the battle of wills and just left it as it was.  I then drew a small porch at the right hand front door and placed the carports further away from the residential buildings before popping up to the first floor and doing an auto roof for, I thought, just that floor.  It did it for both the first and the ground floor - something I didn't expect as I thought each floor was an entity on it's own -  and, among a couple of other things like extensive overhangs and a far too short chimney which I adjusted accordingly the auto roof also took away my firewall gave me a little replacement present instead...

post-52-0-58328400-1436109501_thumb.jpg

I am unable to get rid of those unwanted things and I have given up on the firewall! :angry:

Once I have managed to rid myself of those strange walls I will be very happy with the general look of this plan and will continue with the interiors.

Then, when it comes to dragging this plan across to the garage plan where it is intended to be I will doing so with bated breath and a fervent hope that my computer doesn't implode.

Auto Roof builds ALL roofs in the Plan , Unless you check the box to retain Manually edited Roofs in the Build Roof DBX  (auto Roofs must be Off , but build roof still works) being able to do it by floor would be great.

how did you make the porch roof ? those look like auto attic walls ,but can't be sure since you didn't post the new plan.

had a quick look , little manual roof wasn't an issue works nicely at 5deg actually

and your fire wall was still not setback to default height , do that , then Pro will generate an automatic attic wall which you can drag up ( and along) in a 3D view to your needed height and width, and you can drag the lower wall out too

and you still have a broken wall as noted above ....

and the carport ramps are a bit higher than carport slab.

M.

post-25-0-28222300-1436138063_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-42883800-1436138070_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-50064300-1436138080_thumb.jpg

Mick,

Apropos you much earlier comment about the misalignment of walls.  This probably only applies to the foundation and ground floors which can only be "out" by a pixel or two because I have to drag the foundation wall into position to align with the ground floor and have probably ever so slightly missed a "spot on" alignment.  I'm not too bothered about that.   I have checked the ground and first floors and they are perfectly in alignment. :ph34r:

You might also be happy to know that:

(a)  broken walls no longer exist and:

(B)  while I was having my first cup of coffee this morning I decided to have a bit of a fiddle while my brain was fresh.

I idly clicked on the room specification for the porch and unchecked "ceiling above this room".  And lo!  The phantom

walls were no more.  Yay me!

I am happy with things as they now stand and have decided to forgo the firewall.  I do like them though.  Perhaps because the use thereof was ingrained in me when I lived in South Africa.  There just about every planning authority insist on parapet firewalls to a minimum of 30cm whenever any dwellings share a wall which I think is a very good thing.  Here in the UK they don't really give a toss about it and then everyone cries when a house catches fire and several adjoining houses are also damaged because the fire spreads through the roof.  Common sense doesn't always prevail.

Thanks again for your input.

Your walls on the house are in alignment visually but the Program doesn't think they are , and in newer versions you now get a warning message about that error , the misalignment is proven by the fact you have to drag the basement walls into alignment  with the main  floor , otherwise they would be perfect when you autobuilt the foundation. But it matters not really , it just means your wall main layer assignments are messed up and with your fancy SIP walls your way is likely easier :)

Yes Downunder I saw a lot of Fire walls so knew what you meant , here it is pretty uncommon as you usually are not allowed to build on the property line in residential work.

I'd think you'd want a finished Ceiling in your front entry/porch ? in which case use the Roof Plane Tool.

My word, Jo-Ann!  The topic trundles along for a while and then whoooosh!  You come out all guns blazing. :o

I don't know which copy of the plans you looked at (probably the very early one) but regardless of the little glitches that have occurred and discussed here I have been working on other aspects of the plan on a daily basis and hadn't got to the stairwell on the right yet when that plan was posted.  A lot has changed since then and while a plan check keeps on flagging up misaligned walls this is to be expected as not all walls on the forst floor have any correlation to those on the second

That said I categorically state that I have no broken or overhanging walls anywhere and for the life of me I can't see the issue with the counter top at all.  Maybe later versions of the software are highlighting things that the older versions we poor folk have to battle on with can't see.

Rather than a "bunch of work" all I have to complete now are the two upstairs bathrooms and then this plan is done as far as I am concerned.  Unless of course you guys find summat else wrong with it. :(

Then all I can hope for is that when I drag it over and place it in it's position on the garage site there won't be a clash of default settings that will make it all fall down.

Oaklands cottages 22.06.15.plan

Not pickin' on ya ...though it may seem like it but....

you have fixed the Wall break upstairs in this plan BUT the one downstairs is back .... if you want to see what we see in the newer versions ,download the 2016 version Trial and it will show the breaks with a circle coloured your selection colour at the break ...as you can see below mine is pink...

if you turn on your reference display you can also see better how your upstairs leftside bathroom wall overhangs the stairwell as Jo Noted.

And I think She meant your cooktop in each unit is about 150mm too low , the elements are under the countertop.

you have broken your carport storage walls up to somehow.

Your LH unit entry is showing the insulation cos you used doorways to "cut" the openings in the Walls , instead take the exterior walls around the L Shape and use a slab for your corner post ,coloured Whipped Cream to make your corner support post. ( fixed pic below)

post-25-0-73868000-1436307551_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-48034200-1436307559_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-22116500-1436307573_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-25394400-1436307586_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-93900000-1436308433_thumb.jpg

Ha! You may laugh young lady because you know that you lot are doing my head in! :angry:

I ran two plan checks.

Ground floor had 26 “errors”. 2 for no garage doors. 1 for no smoke detector. 2 for no telephone jacks. 8 for not having a room name allocated. 9 for walls being out of alignment with the foundation wall but we know why that is and it doesn’t bother me. The last 3 were for walls being out of alignment with the room above and this has been done purposely so it is not an error.

First floor had 23 “errors”. 8 for lights not being connected to a switch. 1 for no smoke detector. 2 for no telephone jacks. 11 for not having a room name allocated and the last one was for a wall being out of alignment with a wall below and given what I have written above this is also not an error.

Try as a might I can’t see what you guys are seeing either.

I can find no broken walls.

post-52-0-29852500-1436380444_thumb.jpg
post-52-0-35547400-1436380656_thumb.jpg

There is no insulation showing through a wall in either in your picture, Mick, or in mine.

post-52-0-01242300-1436380481_thumb.jpg post-52-0-63508800-1436380502_thumb.jpg

Nor can I see anything wrong with a counter top riding over a stove top. This is what I see. The stove is higher than the counter in both kitchens so perhaps my old version is more clever than the new ones in that it doesn’t show phantom counter tops running the length of the wall.

post-52-0-34488200-1436380540_thumb.jpg post-52-0-68987800-1436380565_thumb.jpg

I have saved the original plan as one “with fixtures” because furniture and fittings are not relative to the actual plan and will be used for presentation purposes only and it takes ages to download. This is the basic plan with all that bumph removed. Despite your weird visions I would, however like you to tell me why the software refuses point blank to allow me to change the decking from limestone tiles (no, don’t ask me how the tiles got there in the first place) to deck planking.

Please. :wub:

2014 is obviously handling things differently  in some cases , the Stove is a weird one for sure.

If you say the wall overhang is right , then it's ok though I am not sure it is quite right? it looks like you'd hit your shoulder on it

the Limestone is cos , you have the decking set as limestone on the structure tab    and on TOP of that you also have a 12mm thick floor finish which is limestone on your deck too ...normally decks don't have a floor finish by default and the deck room is at say -50mm floor height so water cant get in the doors...

- you also need to change the Deck room Fill to horizontal hatch or solid or in plan it will still look like tiles

- and you will need to pull the dividing wall and it's foundation down below the deck in a elevation view so it isn't seen .

post-25-0-81703700-1436389298_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-14668600-1436389369_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-50369100-1436389321_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-98612800-1436389339_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-07494800-1436389396_thumb.jpg

Keith...you are entertaining!

Broken walls:  I opened a plan (made in HDA 10) in HDA 15, and it showed a broken wall?  In HDA 10, it didn't.  But, (in HDA 10)  I pulled the offending wall back, and let it re-snap. When I re-opened the plan in HDA 15, the broken wall was gone. Weird oddity when opening an older plan in a newer software version.  Also, I had problems with base molding showing up where it shouldn't have (not in HDA 10, but showed in HDA 15)!! 

I see in your pic that you fixed the overhanging bathroom wall.  I was also wondering why the stairway areas (east stairwell, west stairwell)  are not the same size?  It seems like they should be identical?

The range!  In the pic you posted, I can see the countertop showing under the burners!  I have the same slide-in stove in my HDA 10 library, but I never tried using it.  So, I did put it in a cabinet, and guess what?  The countertop showed under the burners!!!  I think this might be an HD booboo.

The only way I could fix it, was to delete the countertop from that cabinet, and wrap a custom countertop around the stove top.

Good morning, afternoon, evening, whatever.  With all the different times of posting I see on these forums I never know what time of day it is.  :rolleyes:

Mick, thanks for the pointers about the deck.  Bloody hell!  The small things you have to remember.  It's no wonder that my 70 year old brain can't cope sometimes. 

Alterations have been made according and when I did so two rooms on the first floor had their flooring changed to decking.  I checked all the floors on that level and found that they all now had a 0 floor finish despite the defaults for that floor being set at 12mm so I had to change them all.

There does seem to be an oddness between versions and the cynic in me says that this is purposely done by CA to force people to upgrade.  Does money grow on trees in their garden, do you think. 

It's not only between versions that strange behaviours occur either.   Paragraph three is an indication as is the fact that when I draw an invisible wall today it comes up as a solid wall so I've had to use the door opening option at the top of the stairs in what Jo-Ann calls the West staircase.  It has also been decided by whatever devilish powers create odd things within the system on a daily basis to confuse and/or piss one off that as of today the landing at the top of the stairs will not show as having a floor either in camera or doll house views any longer.  This is despite the specs showing that there is a floor under the room.  I'll leave it until tomorrow in the hope that it will settle down.

Jo-Ann, when I design stuff and in particular a set of houses or apartments I try and make them all slightly different from the others which is why the two staircases aren't the same.  Maybe this is because I try and design things that I would like to live in myself and there is nothing worse for me than row upon row of buildings which are identical both inside and out.  Little boxes, little boxes...

As for being entertaining - I like making things just a bit more interesting than the clinical and enjoy using words to convey this.  Besides which If I took everything to do with the problems I create in my designs too seriously I'd become a dipsomaniac. ;)

Your Default Deck Room should be setup to have no floor finish layer ,just the planks and joists , so I am not sure how you got the limestone , but suspect it has something to do with those SIP walls, their Alignment and  and how you get Room Definition. I didn't have the floor change in the rooms (2014 vs 2016?) but I also dropped the Deck room Floor height 50mm , (slight step down.) which may have broken any connection.

The broken wall I mentioned in post is still there with the little broken wall under it , I broke the wall again just now and deleted the small piece and joined it back , and all seems well for now.

post-25-0-79983100-1436461642_thumb.jpg

You might want to make those Bifold Exterior Doors wider if possible as like all Bifolds they open into their own Opening and take up space making the Opening smaller , so 2000-2100mm maybe better.