Help needed - complex Gambrel roof

JonathanElvers

Hi, I am struggling with my new Pro software to model my existing house before i start looking at possible modifications.

Specifically the roof is creating problems. It is gambrel, with very shallow flat roofed windows on the second floor.

I have read the many roof videos/reports but this looks a complicated case and not obvious. With other roofs on the property from various extensions i am learning to do everything manually.

So i need help on the roof, the windows, and how to add the loft/attic which is currently missing!

Images of my attempt below.

I am also using metric UK version and struggling with the 1 or 8 in 32 as this is not what i see in my dialog windows!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Very impressed with this powerful piece of software.

Cheers

post-3356-0-91936600-1435175281_thumb.png

post-3356-0-98946400-1435175292_thumb.png

Hi Jon , with complicated Roofs it is best to post your plan , as there are just too many issues that may cause problems to guess from pics of your problem.

There was a post about 2 months back that Jo_Ann and I worked on ,about exactly this , I will try and find it and post a link back here.

I think you have 2016? it doesn't say in your Sig. and people can only open plans from someone with the same version or Older than them , so good info to know.

Edit: some old posts

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/994-cant-get-this-roof-right-for-the-life-of-me/?hl=%2Bgambrel+%2Broof

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/224-how-do-i-design-this-roof/?hl=%2Bgambrel+%2Broof#entry1158

oh....in the DBX's there is a "numbers" box in the bottom LH corner , click on that and you should be able to change the Pitch/degrees etc if needed or in Defaults>Plan there is a box in the Top RH corner to "show degrees" (defaults is the wrench icon)

I have struggled to do a typical Gambrel roof per the instructions David indicated given the multiple other roof around the property on front/side/back which are all different types.

I will post the plan file. I have been learning the many elements of the product as you can see in the file.

I am using Home Designer Pro 2016 Mac version - I only bought a week ago.

You will notice - i still have much to learn!

In getting the proper gambrel roofing elements, the wall doesn't seem to work and the windows disappear from the earlier version above.

Marshall v2.plan

there is a quirk with Pro ,  if you make the overhang too wide on a gambrel it does weird things to the walls , we found issues in that other thread I posted above about that, not sure if that is what you have run into or not.

It is always a good idea to get a finished structure 1st . ie all your walls/floors/foundation etc done (and correct) , then  do your roof ,  then your Terrain / or interior ,with things like cabinets/furniture etc.

if your walls are right , it is more likely the Roof will build correctly as walls control the roof style in the Walls Roof DBX , however Roofs/ceilings control walls as far as heights ie setting the Room ceiling height ,controls the wall height ,which is where the roof builds from. (as a general rule ,in Pro you can alter settings in the roof plane dbx if needed too)

M.

Wow many thanks for all the help. I fell off my chair when i saw you had made a whole video of the plan - that is fantastic. I really appreciate all the support.

The big open question for me is now i have the gambrel roof, with a near vertical side, what window do i put in it ? Would a dormer work or not ? Current windows slightly protrude with a flat roof.

thanks again.

Dormers are your only realistic option, Figuring out the exact default settings for such a dormer will be the trial and error hard part. Once you get one configured that works you can then copy-paste additional ones to the steep sides, then "explode" them, one at a time so you can better control editing the window sizes in them. Do  NOT explode any dormers until you have them perfectly placed. exploding them ( which releases them from a unified object to their parts), which can then be finely edited at need. Such a job is not easy even for an advanced user, so apply patience and a methodical approach.

DJP

Wow many thanks for all the help. I fell off my chair when i saw you had made a whole video of the plan - that is fantastic. I really appreciate all the support.

The big open question for me is now i have the gambrel roof, with a near vertical side, what window do i put in it ? Would a dormer work or not ? Current windows slightly protrude with a flat roof.

thanks again.

check the thread above and you will see how Jo_Ann did it in that plan ,she even posted here files to check out 

eg here https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/994-cant-get-this-roof-right-for-the-life-of-me/#entry5716

or here

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/994-cant-get-this-roof-right-for-the-life-of-me/page-3#entry5850