vaulted ceiling and gable ceiling intersect problem

mtmorrione

Hi Solver,

I can not open the version you sent, I have HD 2015.

What technique did you use to blend the gabled area and vaulted ceiling?

Hi Kbird1,

Yes, my ceiling is not flat (vaulted) and above the ceiling I want to create Trusses. The Gable area ceiling should intersect the vaulted ceiling, but I don't see how to do it. Manual or auto is fine. Once I have the ceiling in place then I believe HD will allow me to create Trusses.

Please indicate any techniques that you think might work.

Thank you,

Mike

Here is a 2015 version. Done quickly after last nights practice.

I deleted your gable roof planes, set breaks in the wall, selected the center part of the wall and set it to gable, then rebuilt the roof. Just to make sure the roof is correct.

Draw in a new ceiling plane. Set the pitch to match your other ceiling planes. Its height needs to be changed as well -- look at its specifications for the settings.

Turn off the display of roof planes so I'm not selecting them.

Drag it (the ceiling plane) to rough shape.

Select it and join it to the larger ceiling plane using the Join Roof Planes tool.

Select the ceiling plane just drawn, copy and reflect it around the center of the gable to form the other side.

Join it as above.

Took longer to type this than to do.

**** Also noticed the bedroom wall is not straight. The default settings make this difficult to do, so something may need to be set back.

x2.plan

Hi Eric,

Thought I sent a post yesterday... hmm.

Thank you for the solution you provided, however I have not been able to duplicate it.

Here is what I tried:

1) deleted existing gable, break the wall section and set it for full gable, then rebuilt the roof.

2) I then created a ceiling plane starting at the center line of the gable.

3) Adjusted the ceiling plane to be similar to my vaulted ceiling.

4) Used the join command... but this gave a bizarre result.

I do not see what height you adjusted? this may be what is need to make it work.

A little more detail might get me there.

Thank you,

Mike

Where is DJP with a video???

Like roof planes, ceiling planes should be drawn from low to high, so start at the point where the new plane joins the wall and existing ceiling plane. 

Change the height -- see the images.

post-171-0-14353400-1435263050_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-86220400-1435263069_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-81295100-1435262572_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-31512900-1435262583_thumb.jpg

Join the planes together, copy the one just drawn and reflect about the center of the gable. Now join the 2 newly drawn planes together at the ridge.

@ Eric   you should try Jing , free 2GB account ,and it works well.  (SnagIt is the paid version)

https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

I got the new CA Newsletter yesterday and there is a link to a new plan on the Samples webpage called the Dalton Remodel , and looking at the PDF it shows trusses like yours in this plan , I have not looked at all  5 Videos to see how it was done though.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

edit : There is info in this video in the series above from minutes 46-53 approx. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg2pE7i0uws&list=PL7J4ch5cuz99sgM_U8L6lGYMIXl28Hm0B&index=2

did you break the wall where you want the vault and set the wall to full gable ? the rest the program will do Auto...that's the easy part ....the other side where it is flat is the tricky part

if the gable vault has a window you can even use the gable over window Tool and it will do it auto too.

you may not be able to edit this , just so you see what I mean...I didn't do your flat area just the gable ,using both methods above.

Sample roof plan.plan

Kbird1,

Yes, I did break the wall and set that section to full gable. This part I have done ok.

It is the vaulted ceiling in the gable I can't seem to manipulate into position. I tried deleting one of the gable ceiling elements using Solver's X2 file version he sent us and the photo I attached was the result of my attempt to add a new ceiling to his.

by the way I am using HD 2015 pro...

THanks for any help,

Mike

Ok, looking at your pic , I thought you were talking about the small gable roof off one side , there is only one gable right?

Perhaps post your latest plan, no point me looking at Eric's as I did it same as him 1st time around.

Kbird1,

There is only one gable in this test house.

I have attached Eric's nicely done X2 file... he added the vaulted gable ceiling

The 2nd "X2 with gable ceiling removed" is Eric's file with gable ceiling removed and I started to add ceiling plane.

How do I get the ceiling plane I have added to join the main vaulted ceiling?

Thanks,

Mike

x2.plan

x2 with gable ceiling removed.plan

I looked at the plan, and you are drawing the plane wrong. You always draw the baseline, then release the mouse button, then drag up towards the ridge.

attachicon.gifnp 6.jpg

Check out some of the YouTube videos on roofs. Remember, ceiling planes work like roofs. Here is a good one.

excellent advice.....

I deleted the errant plane then drew my own and used the Join tool , 1st join wasn't so nice , so rejoined the same edges and all looks good.

I also had to rejoin the Roof planes on the outside when I was done.

I straightened the bathroom wall and rejoined those ceiling planes too,

It went fairly well with no major dilemma's so I must be in the "Lucky zone" this afternoon as Eric mentioned.

One other tip..... set the Ceiling planes to "Use Room Finish" to get a nice join otherwise the 1/2 drywall may show it's thickness at the join. Strange thing after doing this ,the 3D view looked good but the Plan view didn't , so I had to rejoin it again (3rd time?) 

the gable view

post-25-0-21993900-1435353246_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-67379200-1435353473_thumb.jpg

x2 with gable ceiling removed_Mick.plan

Mick.

There is info in that video in the Dalton Series on Youtube from minutes 46-53 approx. if you need more help on getting the ceiling plan ready to install scissor trusses.

lots of good info in the whole series actually if you are new to the Pro Software...... (as its for Chief and    other titles don't have those features)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg2pE7i0uws&list=PL7J4ch5cuz99sgM_U8L6lGYMIXl28Hm0B&index=2