Screen porch or roof over porch

LeeNicholson

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

I am trying to add a shed roof over a front porch and also a back deck/screen porch.  When I do the 3D view it only looks like a deck with railing on both front and back, therefore I an unable to get a roof because there is nothing to support it.  How do I extend the railing timbers to support a roof.  I have attached the plan so someone can see what I did wrong.

I am using Home Designer Suite 2016

Whiteoak Cabin.plan

you likely need to turn on the Roof ,and perhaps the ceiling in the Deck and Porch Room DBX , and the Railings will need to be set with Post to ceiling  or Post to Beam on their Wall DBXs. 

I'll take a quick look and post back if something else is going on.

M.

• Solution

You hadn't set the Roof Pitch in the front Railing wall of each Deck to something low like 2-3° either and each end railing wall needs to be set to Full Gable to get a shed Roof in the Wall's DBX Roof Tab too.

I see you have stairs going up so I built the 2nd floor , for two reasons so you will get a proper stairwell and so that you can make Rooms on the @nd level even if it is only an Attic Space as HD software doesn't allow you to do anything on it's own Attic level , so you have to make a 2nd Floor and then make the ceiling height 0" if needed so you get a Floor up there and can make Rooms etc.

as you can see in the pic I left the 2nd floor at 8' as I don't know your real height. Though it is likely you will need some height otherwise the Roofs will meld together , in which case it could be done with a Gull Wing roof too I think in this situation.

M.

post-25-0-62499400-1435018615_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1