Floor materials for different plan sections changing on own accord

Keith_K

...in 3D rendering

I hope that someone will be able to tell me why.

I recently started working on the "back" section of my plan and the three back sections involved still had concrete floors in the room spec. The "front" sections all had Oatmeal Tile as their flooring. This afternoon I specified that the floors should be Natural Oak Plank. Fine. It changed them but at the same time all the floors bar one in the £front" section of the plan changed from Oatmeal Tile to Natural Oak Plank. If I try and change them back to Oatmeal Tile then the flooring in the "back" section of the plan changes as well.

There is also one section of a staircase that refused to change the materials to match the rest of the staircase.

I have never experienced this phenomenon before and am at a loss to understand it. I'm sure it can't be my video card as a better grade of card was only installed on my computer a few months back.

Any ideas? Please?

post-52-0-78358400-1434732003_thumb.jpg

best to post the plan Keith , yours are always pretty complicated with lots to check

on the staircase I would guess that it isn't correctly connected to the rest of the staircase but should be able to be changed manually?

Did you use the Room Def. >Structure Tab>Floor Finish>edit    or the Room Type ? (and default settings)  to change the Flooring ?

Jo-Ann, I right clock on the room>open object>structure>materials>floor covering.  The way I've always done it. ;)

This is only happening in the 3D dollhouse perspective as per the first line of my opening post.  If I go to the plan and click on the room/s (as above) the correct selected floor covering is shown on the room specs.  If, however, I try and correct it while in 3D view it all changes to Oatmeal Tile or Natural Oak Plank as per the image and the staircase doesn't change at all.

It's a puzzlement.

Mick, this plan is the least complicated of them all because I am working with an existing structure so no fancy insulated and brick lined walls are involved. :)

Keith,

When you open the room dbx and select the materials tab, did you notice that the floor designation says floor structure?

Back in the structure tab, the floor finish (k) is 0mm.  Isn't it supposed to be 12mm?  Change that and when you open the material tab, the floor designation has now changed to floor finish.  Choose your plan material and all is good again.  ALL the floor finish (k) on the plan has changed to 0mm.

Haven't figured out the stair thingy yet, but something is screwy with the walls and ceiling on floor2.  The stair room is supposed to be 'open below', but not showing that way in 3d.

Keith.

Do a doll house view of level1, and zoom in on the staircase as if you were starting up from the floor.  Notice that the landing doesn't look quite right? 

Like Mick said, there is a bad connection, and specifically it is the landing.   Zoom in on the landing (2d) and fix it.

You can now open the offending staircase and alter it's materials, and they will change.  :)

in my dollhouse view the Landing is sitting on the floor ...so it is a bad connection issue at least partially...

What version are you using Jo ?  on the Room DBX>Materials I don't even have a Floor Option

On the structure Tab , structure is greyed out and floor finish is 0mm....at least in the big room on the south end ( next to room with table and chairs...

still looking

It looks like your Oatmeal Tile was setup on the foundation level Keith , you have 300mm thick Oatmeal tile there instead of Concrete , so I switched that back to default concrete in each room. It is this level that gives you your concrete floor where you need them ...ie set Room on level one to have NO floor finish.

I then found most rooms on level 1 had no Floor finish designated , so 1st I went into the default>Rooms and set the Normal Room to have your natural oak planking , then in Bath/kitchens Room default, I set the Oatmeal tile as the floor Finish .

Then I had to go to each Room and Turn on Floor Finish on the Structure Tab by clicking the Default box and hitting ok. In those rooms you want tile not the Oak , designate them Bath/Kitchen Rooms and turn off the label as well . ( you already set default Bath/ kitchen rooms to Oatmeal tile above , so use default button again on structure Tab.)

hopefully I didn't miss a step....

post-25-0-21831600-1434827172_thumb.jpg

Keith , all your staircase cases have a few issues , it is imperative that staircases are exactly the the same width as the landing they join too , otherwise you need to break that edge of the Landing at the point the staircase meets the landing , otherwise they wont join and become one cohesive Unit.

The 1st staircase Landing is actually in the wall if you zoom in and look , so it won't join the staircases even if they are the same width, as the don't line up.

the staircase in the middle has the similar issues actually.

you also have two different Oak's in the plan , not sure if the mix of materials is deliberate ? ........you have Oak and Oak (Honey) on the same staircase

The single staircase on the left in pic below , had Birch materials and FP Plank flooring for the Treads....

Have a good weekend...

M.

post-25-0-38262600-1434831473_thumb.jpg

Thanks guy and gal. :)

Because it was the weekend I didn't check for any further comments but I did spend 5½ hours yesterday afternoon trying to sort out the staircase.  I zoomed in really close and found many of the wrongs which you mention such as the width of the openings which were a few mm out in all cases and after making the necessary adjustments and found too that in the staircase DBX that the top height of the staircase/s was also incorrect. In the "Advanced Options" section of the DBX some things are selected by default such as "automatic heights".  The default height with that option selected was incorrect and when I unselected it and changed the top height to the 2499 mm that it should be the staircase/s worked and the materials changed to what I had selected them to be.  However the railing transition (in a darker wood in the attachment for ease of viewing) only worked on one side.  The part where the staircase joins the cantilevered floor on the left side also looks a wee bit strange.  But you know what?  I'm not really going to bother too much about it because I can't spend so much time on just one aspect of the plan when I have so much else to do on it. :ph34r:

Mick, that single staircase you mention didn't have the materials chosen by me.  They are the default materials which come up when you draw a staircase and I can't find anywhere that you can set defaults for staircases.  I wish there was because in the advanced I've mentioned in the paragraph above you are unable to turn off the fixed default for "Automatic Treads" and therefore are unable to adjust the tread depth.

The floor finishes have now been sorted too.  I am unable to understand why I would have set the default to 0 mm.  But ther seems to be a lot of things that I don't understand any more so it's par for the course. :( 

Thanks again for your input.

post-52-0-89557600-1434978086_thumb.jpg

In HD staircases style is Defaulted to the Template style you started with but all materials can be changed afterwards if needed.

it looks like you haven't changed the Rail material to Oak on the lower staircase , and my guess is you have transitions checked on the left side too which is controlling the LH staircase Rail too , (look close and you can see the two rail styles where they join are different ).

post-25-0-58898600-1434997678_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-32166800-1434997755_thumb.jpg

looks good here

post-25-0-48331500-1434998342_thumb.jpg

Keith,

So, the flooring fix ultimately came down to the 0mm floor finish?

You can change SOME of the default stair materials under the edit>default setting > 'materials' (ballasters,railings, tread).

Mick,

I have the Pro 2015 (trial), which matches Keith's version.  Remember, the Pro 2016 (trial) wouldn't even launch, for me.

In Pro 2015, the landing is sitting slightly too high above the 1st staircase (not on the floor).

In the Pro 2015 version, the room dbx 'materials' tab shows 'floor structure' material.....UNTIL a floor finish height is set in the structure tab.  THEN it changes to 'floor finish' in the materials tab.

I am using X7 so I can open Keith's Plans, AFAIK he has 2014 (x5)  and Pro 10 can't open them. but I suspect I see different things in the DBX's, but will try using X6 (2015) next time as I think the DBX's are more alike. 

The Floors/Rooms were acting weird especially in Dolhouse view as Keith mentioned , but once I set the Foundation back to Concrete from 300mm thick tile (can't remember if I did a rebuild of foundation or not now too) , it was then only a matter of setting the flooring to some measurement in each room's DBX as they were all zero mm which maybe cos I reset the foundation? but not sure as I think Keith had been trying any and all things to make it work :).

Hi Jo-Ann.  Yes that was all it took but then the muck hit the fan.  I have spent all yesterday afternoon and most of this morning correcting things so that the DBXs for each room was the same as those on the rest of the floor because adding the floor finish made something go completely wrong and the specs on most of the rooms were totally different to the floor default settings.  It was is if the software went on some sort of damage vendetta.  I've done the best I can to make it right.

So then I do a 3D doll house view of the ground floor and...

post-52-0-02170500-1435079356_thumb.jpg

I don't what the hell is going on with that section.  It was perfectly OK before I had to fiddle.  It is supposed to be an alcove in which an outdoor display cage site.  For some reason too the door on the right of the alcove is breaking my foundation wall (and don't get me started on the foundations as I've spent most of the afternoon trying to make them right because they too seem to have been affected by the change made to the floor).

This project isn't the easiest (though it should be because the building exists.  My problem might lie in the fact that I am trying to replicate the old hand drawn plans which is made all the more difficult because the structure was made into what it is over a period of years starting with the little shop in 1972 then with the workshops at the back in 1977 and then the centre part which is currently a car showroom with offices above was added in 1983 to make one whole building.  The shop, the showroom part and the workshops actually all have different ceiling heights but I think I'll become mental if I try and replicate them

That said the wasted time of the last two days have left me feeling extremely despondent so I'm going to take myself off for a beer and hope that I feel better about this project again tomorrow..

Mick, if you look at the handrails on the image I sent yesterday you will see that there is a lovely curve joining the right hand rails.  That is what I was hoping would happen on the left as well.

I'll attach a copy of the plan as it stands when I saved and closed it a few minutes ago.  Some changes will be seen.  I don't have the plan that you guys are looking at because I did a "save as" and deleted all the old copies so I can't look and see what has changed with that alcove thing and the door. :angry:

post-52-0-19464800-1435079386_thumb.jpg  post-52-0-60400000-1435079419_thumb.jpg

Oaklands - proposed development 22.06.15.plan

Ouch ... I think you went backwards... Are you still on 2014 Keith ?  or did you upgrade ? no point me posting a Plan if you haven't you can't open it.

you now have two Foundation Floors ?  which is what you are seeing in the alcove , you floor © is - 318mm and not on default for some reason so you have this

post-25-0-57625500-1435086226_thumb.jpg

it takes some fiddling and I ended up breaking the staircase back into 3 parts , set each one as it needed to be , with rails on walls , transitions etc etc set right, then joined it back together and it works . Once they all link you can't alter the settings for the left and right stairs independently, which need to be opposite each other, which is why you were only getting the smooth transition on the left side. The right side had the balusters at 30mm too while the rest was 50mm and the railing heights on stairs vs landing height were different too on the 3 sections , landing is always higher ...not = to the stairs.

post-25-0-77290500-1435086509_thumb.jpg

my settings

post-25-0-29669100-1435086546_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-68159900-1435086581_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the stair tip Mick.  I'll have a look at it tomorrow as I am about to go to bed.  I didn't know that you had to change the settings for handrail heights etc.  I thought that the clever software would do it.

How on earth can I have two foundations? The software doesn't allow it as far as I know.   Admittedly I deleted the previous foundation when I was trying to sort everything else out and then used the "build foundation" wotsit to redo it thereafter I dragged the foundations walls to align with the ground floor walls.  Did some of the old foundation stay behind when I deleted?

Yes, I am still on 2014.  Achieving the cost of upgrading is still eluding me I'm afraid.  And it can only get worse.

The handrails heights were set up differently on the 3 staircases but I don't know your English code , here Landings (guardrails) are 42" and Staircases 36" , so I just set 800 and 900mm (no conversion) to see what worked. The other option that sometimes screws things up if you have the newel (post) and balusters the same size (50mm) is the Newel at 1st tread setting. 

No sure you actually have two foundations perse but two levels , and the floor is now at -318mm, not 0mm , a few weeks ago we sorted out the slab flush to stemwall issue and I thought you were set.

open the plan higher up in the thread and apply the fixes I mentioned and it all looks good, I'm not sure this latest plan is worth rescuing (sorry),unless you made a lot of other changes you don't want to lose ..., I would abandon this latest one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bugger!  I didn't mean to vote your post down, Mick.  I was aiming for the UP button because I agree with you that I should abandon the current plan.  :angry:  Maybe a moderator can reverse it because I don't seem to be able to. 

And thanks for the tip on getting the previous plan back, Jo-Ann.  I think that when one gets to the stage of panic that I reached yesterday the brain goes into hibernation and no further logical thoughts can be made.

I'll open both plans in a split screen and without going anywhere near the foundations or anything else other than changing the floor finish I'll go through the plan room by room, window by window, wall by wall and dimension by dimension to try and catch up with all the changes I have made.  Then maybe I can progress the plan without making any further cock-ups.

Pray for me, ladies.

geez voted down and called a lady all in one 1 post .....best you go for a couple of pints and try again  :)  and you are right sometimes it is just best to walk away and let the frustrations "drain" and then try again the next day....

However you need to reset your foundation to 300mm thick concrete in the Floor 0 defaults and rebuild the foundation 1st .... See https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1166-floor-materials-for-different-plan-sections-changing-on-own-accord/#entry6665)

then go to each room on level one and change each floor finish to the desire type  ...eg : Natural Oak or Oatmeal tile