Aligning Walls

English

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

My basement walls are 8" block with a brick veneer.  My first floor walls are standard studs with sheathing and a brick veneer. I make the first floor wall align with the wall below but it aligns on the inside face and not on the brick veneer.  How can I make the outside face align?
Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-42484800-1433937462_thumb.png

Eric

All I can find in the knowledge base is to use the Align with wall Below/Above.   It does say that the wall will align with it's main layer and that should be defined as Structural but doesn't tell you how to do that.  My first floor wall aligns the face of the brick with the outer face of the block of the foundation and I don't know who to change that.

Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-81621600-1433949138_thumb.png

post-2501-0-75628100-1433949162_thumb.png

You need to align the Main Layers of your two wall types using the Wall Definition DBX of each.

you have log siding as the main layer on the 1st floor ? and opening no material in the basement.

post-25-0-35444300-1433957932_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-19834000-1433958119_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-20518500-1433959380_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-55035700-1433959392_thumb.jpg

Does the basement brick really go into the Ground? or is this not really a basement?

Have you gone through the User Guide and done the tutorials ? 

and downloaded the Reference Manual off the help Menu too?....

try pages 213-240

The original building was a log cabin that the owner added a brick veneer to -- probably not a good idea.  The extension on the left was build a year ago and is block with a brick veneer and is the the same a the original basement -- walk out (not buried except for the front wall of the log cabin.  Both have a poured 4" concrete slabs.  The first floor of the extension will be a standard 4" stud wall with a brick veneer.

The wall definition screen looks different to yours as I don't have the INS column (whatever that is).  Anyway I read the Reference Manual pages you suggested so am I correct in assuming I need to have the brick veneer on the first floor wall as the first item under Main Layer and the brick veneer in the basement wall as the first item in the Main Layer so that they both line up?

Thanks

Alan

- The basement wall , has to have all layers defined as Main layer as Eric shows above and per the Manual : 

Aligning Foundation Walls

The Foundation To This Line setting in the Wall Type Definitions dialog controls how a

wall of a given type aligns with foundation walls directly below on Floor 0.

By default, Foundation To This Line is specified for the Main Layer of most wall

types. An exception to this are brick wall types, which have Foundation To This Line

specified for the exterior siding layer. See “Brick Ledges” on page 268.

- you have several different wall types on the basement level so will need to adjust them all I think. Part of the problem is you have drawn the Basement and are now trying to draw the 1st floor above it, HD Pro is designed to Draw the Main floor (level 1) and then Auto generate the Basement (level 0)  you then make any changes as needed using the Foundation wall type if needed.

- As a quick test I deleted ALL except the Main Floor in your Drawing and made two new wall types for the basement and main floor just to be sure , and rebuilt your Roof too. Your bumpout on the end is causing an issue due to a known bug , you need the room heights to be 12" different or the Roof lines will try to join regardless of the Full Gable setting. The Roof still maybe not 100% right as I don't know it's true shape or the pitches.

Hopefully you can open this to look as I have to use Premier to open your plans as I only have Pro 10.

306 MOUNT ZION_R1_Mick.plan

Very astute of you Eric.  Yep that house is strange out in the boonies.  Gullwing roof with a shed dormer.

Alan

Mick

When you reference "Foundation to this Line" in the wall definition dialog screen where exactly is that as I don't see it anywhere?

According to the Reference Manual "By default, walls on different floors are aligned by the outer edges of their Main Layers".  So, with all the elements of my first floor wall (brick, house wrap, OSB) on the Main Layer and the brick and block of the foundation wall on the main layer, then the outer faces of the brick should line up -- but they don't.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Alan

It doesn't sound like you looked at the settings in my Plan? 

I  got 2016 Pro Trial instead of using Premier to look at your plan , and these were the settings I used ...think I added the Air Gap? to the main floor wall as the brick isn't likely hard on the logs. (nor the drywall hard on the logs actually)

post-25-0-37489700-1434047219_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-91481300-1434047239_thumb.jpg

Mick

I did and tried to make my walls the same as yours with regard to what items were under Main Layer and which were under Exterior and in what order, but my walls still don't align.  Let me go back and look at it again and I'll take screen shots of both basement and first floor wall Definitions screens.  

Thanks

Alan

Mick

I changed my two walls to reflect the way you have your materials in the respective brackets (Exterior, Main, and Interior).  Please look at the screenshots and tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thanks for everyones help on this.

Alan

post-2501-0-60017100-1434121066_thumb.png

post-2501-0-98367100-1434121081_thumb.png

post-2501-0-99708700-1434121096_thumb.png

Post your current plan please.....

the second Pick of your main floor Wall is not of the Main floor Wall you are using...it's not Brick 4 but Log Brick , look at my Pics again.

you have two different walls in the basement too , most is brick block foundation but one wall is Brick 6 , which maybe the other issue.

Mick.

Mick

The plan hasn't changed since the last one I posted -- just the wall components and their locations but I am attaching it anyway.  I am only concerned at this time on the extension and not the main house which as you pointed out is Log/Brick.  I went back and checked all the walls in the addition basement and they are all of the Block/Brick Foundation type.

If I can get the wall configurations for the addition correct then I will fix the main house.

My main concern is getting the configurations of the two types of walls correct so they align.  As I mentioned before the Reference Manual says by default, walls on different floors are aligned by the outer edges of their Main Layers.  I can't get this to work.  I tried to get the elements of each wall in the correct location (Exterior, Main, and Interior) to match what you had in your plan which is why I posted both wall's configurations so you can see where I am going wrong in the locations of the elements.

Your alternative plan was great (thanks for that effort) but if you just modify my plan for the existing extension basement and first floor wall configurations to that which will allow alignment.   This would allow me to see where I am going wrong.

Thanks

Alan

306 MOUNT ZION.plan

Review the wall definition change I made in post #6.

1) Go to the basement level and change the wall definition.

2) Click the button in the edit toolbar to align the basement wall with the wall above.

The walls will not automatically align themselves up.

Aligning the first floor wall with the basement wall does not work.

I understand this is a problem as you are building the foundation first, and doing this will move the foundation walls.

You may ctrl drag walls to align them as needed too.

I think , as mentioned before your issue is because you Drew the Foundation 1st , this has confused HDP as it no longer is using the "special" Level 0 which it uses for foundations .

As a quick test in a new default plan , I set your Block Brick foundation up as the default foundation wall and made the default exterior wall Brick 4.

and then drew the 1st floor walls with Brick 4 and then auto built the Basement and it came out perfect . see pics below.

So knowing that it works I opened your plan above , went to Build Foundation and built the foundation Auto. No errors , so on Level 1 , I continued your Addition wall down and completed the other end with the Bay back to the Existing House. Went back to Build Foundation and rebuilt with level 1 as the reference floor (it didn't ask the 1st time) and everything is perfect .....see pics ...well except your Roof , you need to delete and rebuild them after setting up the Gullwing properly and lowering the ceiling to say 55-65" in the small addon on the back with the shed roof ( and set shed roof up correctly) and then set the roof pitches over your new addition to say 5 or 6" in 12 as default in your plan is 12 in 12.

This is where I found anomaly , for some reason when I next went to the attic all the walls were marked invisible ??? that you?   anyway I went to Build floor>delete current floor (make sure on A level)  and HDP immediately rebuild the Attic Level walls as they should be. (blue). then I rebuilt the Roofs and all looks good except for anomaly 2 in 3D  :) .... it appears Pro may have the "build platform to this line" setting as the Red brick (which is the default for masonry walls) BUT in your case this will cause a gap between floors on some occasions, as it will eliminate the brick and you will have a 12" approx. gap with no wall between floors , if that is the case, switch that line in the Wall Def. to the OSB/Ply layer instead ,which pulls the framing out of the way and allows the brick to build thru to the next level ...0 in this case.

redone in X7 so hopefully you can at least look at stuff...

306 MOUNT ZION_R2_X7.plan

and the Pretty pics....post-25-0-24411900-1434152959_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-59654600-1434152938_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-55897200-1434152948_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-97612300-1434152972_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-28827100-1434152986_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-89657900-1434153002_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Is there a way to align walls?  I am at a corner and need to extend the wall into the arch.  I build a two foot wall and an not able to attach it.  How do you attache a short wall to a long wall or extent the long wall into an arch way?  Please help