Downgrade to Suite 2015

scott65

It would seem I messed up.  I purchased some property with an old farmhouse in the middle of last year and researched different software titles to use in helping with a major remodel. I decided yesterday to pull the trigger on the Home Designer Suite but didn't realize they had changed the system requirements with the 2016 software.  It seems it no longer supports Vista, which is what my laptop is running.  

So I have 2 questions.  First, can I downgrade my software download to the 2015 version?  And second, does anyone know what was added?  Am I losing features that I may find beneficial enough to switch to a Windows 7 machine? I am trying to use the laptop because while we are remodeling this house, I'm in a "tight" living arrangement.  Setting up a desktop computer (the only Windows 7 computer I have) and a printer to print out the "blueprints" would be somewhat of a hassle during this project.  Carrying around the laptop seemed like it was going to be very handy.

I'm running into install problems.  I can only assume its because of not having Windows 7.  The install program has been stuck on "Removing Backup Files" for about an hour now.  I've redownloaded, uninstalled a couple of botched install attempts, cleared plenty of hd space, anything I can think of, and can't get past this spot.  I've monitored the hd space while at this spot and something is definitely happening.  For the entire hour, it has been going up and down on free space, up to 10 gigs.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give all the details. I realize that calling tech support will be my best option.  I was just trying to get this thing going this weekend.  Weekends are valuable time and so far allot has been wasted here.  Thanks for anyone's help!

First, can I downgrade my software download to the 2015 version? 

I do not think so other than shopping for an older version at Amazon or perhaps E Bay. Your actual authority will be Chief Architect Sales

And second, does anyone know what was added? 

There is not a lot of difference between 2015 and 2016 relative to Suite in my opinion. Each new upgrade brings generally greater choice and functionality.

I suggest you contact Tech Support on Monday to see if they can help you.

DJP

I do not think so other than shopping for an older version at Amazon or perhaps E Bay. Your actual authority will be Chief Architect Sales

There is not a lot of difference between 2015 and 2016 relative to Suite in my opinion. Each new upgrade brings generally greater choice and functionality.

I suggest you contact Tech Support on Monday to see if they can help you.

DJP

Thanks for posting.  Given the symptoms, do you think my issue is the Windows version, or is something else going on?  I would have expected issues possibly with running the program, but not during install.  Looking at disk space right this second, it has consumed 20 gigs approximately.  I don't know what its trying to do...

I have a Vista Laptop. I will try to install Suite 2016 myself and report back.

DJP

Thats great, thanks so much for your help!  I'm looking at whats involved in upgrading to Windows 7 but the "Compatibility Checker" won't run because of the failed Home Designer install process, so I'm working on that in the mean time.  I'm curious to see how yours turns out, I wasn't necessarily wanting to spend more money upgrading this machine if I didn't have to.  

Suite 2016 installed on my laptop smooth as glass. I wonder if you downloaded the 32 bit or 64 bit version? (My Vista laptop is 32 bit).

When was the last time you defragged your laptop's hard drive? Do you have a functioning anti-virus application? Mal-ware application? Clean up your laptop's hard drive and try again is my advice.

DJP

Hmm, thats interesting.  I have antivirus and malware scanners and have run them both today.  I have not defragged though. I downloaded the 32 bit version.  The website states that if my system info says its an x86 system, its 32 bit.  I assume there are no extenuating circumstances that can make this untrue?  And I've tried re-downloading thinking I may have had a bad file the first time.

So the only thing left I suppose is the defrag.  I will try that.  Thanks for your help

Edit:  I just opened defrag.  I didn't realize it was set on a schedule.  It defragged yesterday...

not sure on your  issue but was thinking the 32bitvs64bit myself though I have seen one or two others report the same issue , I just saw this though if you want Win 7, though it is a today deal only.

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/June-0-2015/WESunny-06/index-landing.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=EXPRESS060615&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS060615&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS060615-_-EMC-060615-Index-_-E0A-_-Editor&et_cid=18664&et_rid=3506656&et_p1=#Elite