Creating Wall Opening at the Edge

DenTheMen

post-3179-0-71318200-1433693677_thumb.pngpost-3179-0-65791600-1433693693_thumb.png I'm have a walk-thru entrance to the living room in our house. Adjacent to that is an opening in the wall . I've been having difficulty creating this and was hoping other may had advice on how to achieve this effect. My first attempt was a solid wall across the full width, and then adding an open doorway with a pass thru window adjacent to it (Living Room Entry Option 1.png). This came close, but I couldn't make the program show as open where the doorway and pass-thru meet. It always wants add some sort of framing. My second effort (Living Room Entry Option 2.png) was to section the wall. I made a left wall 4' in length and a far right wall 1' in length. I then added a half-height wall adjacent to the right wall to create the pass thru effect. Finally I added a 10" soffit at the top, but found I couldn't extend it the full width of the opening. I realized then that the half-height wall was treated as a full wall preventing the soffit from extending further. My knowledge of the program, while growing is still limited so I'm hoping others might have suggestions that can help me out.   Thanks :-)

You can extend the soffit by depressing the "CTRL" (control key), hold it down while left-click-dragging the soffit to where you need it to go (that overrides "solid" object's unwillingness to "occupy" another object's space so to speak, try it and see).

DJP

The method above works well if you don't need Casings around the Opening ...baseboard still builds though, which is good.

You can also Use a solid rail (half Wall) and a Ceiling beam with Drywall as the material if casing isn't needed instead of the Soffit since there would be a Beam there ITRW.

BTW Doors and Pass through's are much more difficult to select once the Casings are turned off , sometimes plan view is the only way it seems.

post-25-0-55065200-1433710420_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the advice. I was able to extend the soffit with the tip David provide - most appreciated. I liked Solver's suggestion but for whatever reason I could not make the pass-through extend into the doorway. It stops just prior as if it recognizes something that won't let it go further.I'll investigate further to see if I can determine the obstruction, but in the meantime thanks again.