Creating a Roof Over a Bay

English

On a plan I am drawing there is a Bay on both ends of the building with three sides (two sides at 45 degrees) to the main building walls.  I need to create three hip roofs over this Bay that all join at a single point (see attached screenshot).  I did do a search but nothing came back and there was no tutorial for it.

Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-46814100-1433359878_thumb.png

David

What I was trying to create are pie shaped hip roofs for each bay.  So in my case I would need 3 (one for the three walls with windows) with the eave of each roof parallel to the wall.

Alan

Perhaps I'm missing something?  but you don't need to create anything , the program will do it automatically , especially if Autoroof is on in the Roof DBX, have you built the Roof yet?

this literally took 2 minutes...

post-25-0-65795200-1433441907_thumb.jpg

@Alan -- Like Mick, that is an auto generated roof in my image.

I did notice some odd white diamond shaped spaces in your walls -- maybe these are the cause of your issues?

@Mick -- I keep the ridge an off color to make it easier to see, for me, and others when I post an image.

post-171-0-67920000-1433444980_thumb.jpg

Okay guys I've run into some issues that affect the roof.  Something didn't look right so I went back and checked the dimensions of the foundation walls and they are not what I originally drew and I tried to redraw them but got so frustrated that I quit and came back to this forum to ask for help.

Here is the issue.  If you look at the screen shot I posted I first drew the right hand wall that starts the bay.  I set that to 3'-9".  I then drew the next wall at 45 degrees and set its length at 5'-10".  However that changed the dimension of the first wall -- not sure why.  I thought maybe the options in the wall dialog box to lock the start, end or middle of the wall might help.  So back to the first wall and changed it to 3'-9" and locked the end (still not sure which is the end or the start -- is it the way I drew it or something other?)   I then changed the length of the second wall to 5'-10".  The first wall maintained its dimension.  However every time I added the next wall it changed the dimensions of the others.

Please can someone help me out as to how to draw these walls so I can fix their dimensions?

Thanks

Sign me frustrated.

Alan

Eric

I have never figured out how to draw the same type of wall -- I always end up drawing the standard foundation wall and then changing it to what I need.  How can I make all walls the same?  The problem in drawing counter clockwise is that I end up with a wall that connects to the existing building that is not what I need.
Thanks

Alan

Not sure what you are referring to when you say "standard foundation wall".

You may set defaults for walls for each plan, so when you draw an exterior wall, for example, you always get the default wall you set.

post-171-0-79878100-1433555171_thumb.jpg

I stil don't understand the problem you are having. If you are drawing an as built, do you have pictures of the house? Could you post a hand drawn image of the plan?

"The problem in drawing counter clockwise is that I end up with a wall that connects to the existing building that is not what I need."

What do you need? 

You can draw walls counter-clockwise if you REALLY need to , if it's easier  BUT you HAVE TO reverse the layers , so the exterior of the wall is to the outside of the building.  *** Newer versions of HD may do this automatically ?

It does sound like you Default interior and exterior walls are not set up in the Plan Defaults if you standard exterior wall is the Foundation Wall , it is Usually Siding 6.

it would be a lot easier to help  if Eric or I could look and your Plan, we can correct the issue and give it back.

if you don't know how see the 2nd line in my Post Signature for a "How To" post but you posted a pic ,and it's done the same way.

I'm going to work on this during the week and maybe take screen shots as I create each wall to show how the previous wall length has changed.

Please be patient.

Thanks

Alan

try disconnecting the walls at one end , otherwise all is does is push one wall over and shortened the other , and in some circumstances it wont move/change size at all.

Okay guys here's what I did.  I set the default basement wall to a brick and block.

I drew the first wall clockwise (from top to bottom) and set its length to 3'-10" (see first screenshot).

I then drew the second wall at 45 degrees and set it's length to 4'-10" (see second screenshot).

Now the length of the first wall has changed to 3'-3" (see third screenshot).

I drew the third wall and set its length to 5'-9" now the length of the second wall has changed to 5'-2" and the first wall to 2'-8".

How can I stop this happening?
Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-60808700-1433787235_thumb.png

post-2501-0-05453400-1433787505_thumb.png

post-2501-0-79308100-1433787519_thumb.png

post-2501-0-58075100-1433787595_thumb.png

it appears you don't have the "Same wall type Handle"  ON in preferences  ( I don't see the diamond grab handle) which makes dragging the same wall type easy and foolproof , you grab the diamond and off you go. 

What you must be doing from my tests just now , is drawing each wall individually by connecting/dragging from the point of the interior wall which causes the new wall to lap back over the already drawn wall as it joins at it main layer not the point. Conversely if you drag from the outer point (brick) the wall will get longer as the walls will join at their Main Layer NOT the point you dragged from.

Try in again with the Same Wall Type Pref. set to ON....I think Eric mentioned this Earlier in the Thread ?

M.

post-25-0-32285200-1433789368_thumb.jpg

Yes, I suggested Same Wall Type back in post 15. This really should be the default setting.

Alan -- Check out that post.

And why are you drawing basement walls? Typically, the basement walls are generated from the first floor walls automatically when you build the foundation.