Plumbing lines

DCortes

Good afternoon

I have been searching on how to do plumbing in HD Pro 2016 and cannot find it at all.  I did search the forum and found the topic and to search for Bibb in the Library and found that but nothing explains how to do a diagram referencing plumbing.  I did look and check to ensure that Display was checked and it is.  So wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial out there than can be of help.  I am wondering if the only option is to create it like the HVAC and then adjust the polyline as they show in HVAC.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I am wondering if the only option is to create it like the HVAC and then adjust the polyline as they show in HVAC.

Yep.

In an earlier thread, someone recommended upgrading to the Premier version and you can use molding polylines for 3D plumbing and HVAC.

The following Knowledge Base articles apply to the PREMIER version only (none of the Home Designer titles).

KB-00934: Creating HVAC and Plumbing Runs

KB-02840: Drawing HVAC Ductwork

KB-02726: Creating an Isometric Cutaway View of a Floor System

I have done some 3D plumbing and HVAC for a couple of projects. Those were highly specialized displays for illustrative purposes (one was a 3D cross section of a swimming pool showing all the structural layers of the pool in a 3D cross section done in Chief Architect Premier). It is "do able" in Pro but would be very time consuming with some help from Sketch Up. The fact is if you really want to do something bad enough, there will be a way to create it but I would also want to be well paid for that bit of creativity. As a designer you need to make sure you have allowed enough space for HVAC and Plumbing to be run and leave the specifics to those licensed to do so. Fully 3D HVAC and Plumbing are just not necessary to build structures.

DJP

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

That looks like and interesting option.  Don't care for their website much, big on fluff light on specs. Seems like it only does drain lines.  Which are more difficult of course but the counts for supply line fittings would certainly be useful.  I didn't see it mentioned but would be nice if it tallied drainage fixture units and water supply fixture units. 

• 11 months later...

What would you want from a plumbing diagram?

What if you designed it wrong?

There are many variables that affect how plumbing gets installed, and you would need to account for them in the plan.

And finally, would you expect a plumber to follow your plan???

In 35 years as a draftsperson and designer I have only done one 3D plumbing construct. The client involved was an amature  and just wanted what he wanted. Through out the USA all plumbers are State Licensed and are the only ones, except for Mechanical Engineers who are legally allowed to design the specifics of plumbing for a structure. That is why Chief Architect does not present specifically such things as they are the province of licensed professionals, not software and not you, unless you are a licensed by the State to do so, are you a licensed person?

DJP

Part of the problem with modeling plumbing in the HD line of software is that items may not be rotated in the YZ or XZ planes.  Most plumbing lines are installed with a slope to drain, and adjustments to create that slope are just not available.  Note:  standard cylinder objects are provided as either plumb or level, not sloped.  And since slopes can be variable (e.g., rolling offset), to do this correctly you would need the ability to either set a slope or rotate the pipe and/or fitting object ... neither command or capability is currently available.

You could mock up something created in the Engineering Toolbox SketchUp Extension, and then import them (not personally tested ... I'm just theorycrafting at the moment).  But there may be better ways of doing it if you absolutely must show this in your HD model.

Good luck. :)

• 2 years later...

*bump*

I've found myself remodelling part of the house and I need to pull plumbing permits from the city.

Apart from AutoCAD - I've found no suitable way to create isometric plumbing diagrams to show the changes I want to make.

I've had to draw them on paper by hand.

It would be so much easier if I could lay out the pipework into my home designer plans and generate an isometric from there

• 1 month later...

A licensed plumber is not required everywhere. I do all the plumbing, electric, engineering, etc for our home, farm buildings and our USDA inspected meat processing facility (a.k.a. butcher shop) which I designed and built for our farm. There are typically exemptions for non-public buildings in many locals. Read the regulations and laws. Read the code - I still follow code even though I'm not required to do so and I also involve the state plumbing, electrical and other inspectors which they appreciate although before they set foot in the building they give the obligatory speech that they do not regulate us since we're not required to be regulated by them. Still, they're a wealth of information.

That said, what I do is rather than putting every little detail into the drawings I rather indicate plumbing, wiring (all conduited), water, gas and other lines with simple paths. This is simpler and then the plumber (me), electrician (me), gas installer (me), etc will know where things are meant to go and do the final details. I do specify slopes. I do conduit, trench and channel everything as I like things hidden away in the walls, ceilings and floors. Since I built to and beyond USDA specifications for our butcher shop (and use the same techniques for our home) and I'm the one who does the cleaning after each butchery day I want things to be as easy to clean, as easy to maintain and as long lasting as possible. Reducing my maintenance leaves me more time to do research and construction of new things.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2018 at 10:47 AM, pubwvj said:

A licensed plumber is not required everywhere. I do all the plumbing, electric, engineering, etc for our home, farm buildings ...

Agreed! I have a very similar situation, and HD Pro does exceedingly little to help me.  At least help me route water, sewer, and hvac ... it does not need to specify fittings, sizes, or anything (though it would be super cool if it was that smart). I can do all my hvac flow modeling on SimScale, and figure out plumbing pex / pipe sizes and fittings with PlumbingCAD or QuickPlumb or something. Or do it all manually, which is the sucky option when the plans have to change.

IMHO no house plan - regardless of who will make final decisions - can be considered complete until plumbing and hvac are roughed out.

I would vote big time for at least some rudimentary tools in the plumbing and hvac space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion and for my work to date, there are plenty enough tools in HDPro to do either of the tasks you seek to do - either by utilising non-parametric two dimensional (CAD) line-work or by adaption of other simple-parametric objects etc. For example - a soffit could be dimensionally construed, and placed, to represent HVAC ductwork etc. Leave all of the serious nuts and bolts detailing to the Mechanical/Hydraulic Engineer - after all, that's his/her arena. ( Isn't it? )

11 hours ago, Robborito said:

... utilising non-parametric two dimensional (CAD) line-work or by adaption of other simple-parametric objects etc. For example - a soffit could be dimensionally construed, and placed, to represent HVAC ductwork etc. Leave all of the serious nuts and bolts detailing to the Mechanical/Hydraulic Engineer - after all, that's his/her arena. ( Isn't it? )

I am not arguing, just pointing out that the software could help with plumbing circuits (and I will add, hvac to that). HD provides a mechanism to do that for foundations, framing/roofing, electrical, cabinets, etc. Every one of them could be drawn with CAD and 3D shapes/soffits. So why does HD offer ANY layout and design capabilities? To save me time showing contractors what the objectives are. The end result - after consultation with the engineers - will almost certainly be different, and that is expected. And what is built will never be exactly what is on the blueprint, and that also is expected.

So why is any of this different for HVAC and Plumbers? They have the same needs as any other contractor (particularly similar to electricians) - "tell me where you want it, and how it ties together" - where it comes in, where it goes out, where the fixtures are expected to be (HD does at least do the fixtures), and what they are expected to connect up to (HD does this nicely for electrical). The contractor figures out the rest.

I am curious. Have you figured out a way to add plumbing circuits to the plumbing layer? Can you turn plumbing shapes off without turning off CAD or shapes used for other purposes?

Really, all I am asking for is an honest plumbing layer and an honest hvac layer where I can put the fixtures and circuit metadata, and be able to display them only when needed.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is a bit aged, but I thought I would chime in.  I too am a DIY Homeowner and my town expects plumbing, electrical and HVAC to be shown on plans before issuing a permit.  It doesn't need slopes or fittings called out, but it does need to show that you aren't going to put a vent 20' from a fixture for example.  I also want to plan these things out because its a lot easier to move a wall a couple of inches on the drawing than it is once the wall is built.  When I pulled  a permit to redo a half bath into a full bath I was able to get by with the line tool, but now I am planning an addition with plumbing running under footings and slab and between floors, load bearing walls, etc.  It really needs to be considered during the design phase.