Scale Elevations

Arrenbas

I've been working on a new house project (for many years) using Version 7.09 of CA, marketed under the Better Homes and Gardens name. A week or two ago, I bought the latest CA "2015 Suite" (for $99 from the CA website) hoping for newer features and a refreshed library.

However, I've found that one feature my old version seems to do better than the new version, is draw elevations to scale. In Version 7.09, I can specify a scale for elevation images, just as with floorplans, and print to that set scale. In the new Suite version, an elevation appears to be treated like an image and loses its scale function (and can only be printed using the "print image" function with no scaling).

I'm preparing printouts for City review and I've actually had to create the same building in both versions of the software in order to be able to use each version for something that it does better than the other. But the apparent loss of the ability to create printed elevations to a set scale makes the newer version seem fundamentally flawed - unless I'm missing something....

Was it dumbed down to cause people to buy a more expensive version or am I missing a function?

(Also: Neither version allows for something as simple as adding a text box to an elevation. I'm running pages through the printer twice to add labels to printouts, whereas I can add a text box and label a floorplan and print only once.)

Tony

The default elevation view uses "standard rendered view" and it only allows printing of an image as you have seen.

Not sure if that is a Limitation of Suite ?, I no longer own it.

Switch to vector view if possible (house with brown roof Icon) and you can also Print to Scale etc , add text in the view , dimension etc
-If you want a better Cross Section or want to edit ALL parts of the Cross Section , select Vector view >Export> As DXF ,save file to Desktop or ? folder.

-open new plan > Import> DXF , find the file just saved and it will import it as a 2D CAD Drawing in which you may edit any/all Lines ,add text.dimension
   delete erroneous lines ,change line weights etc

-you can import back into the same Vector view instead but it is easier to paste into a new plan so it can be worked on separately.
   If you import to same the HD software places it exactly on top of the Vector view , so you must use the edit handle to move it
   sideways or down etc to see it....ie if you import to same view it will look like it didn't work , but it is there....
One caveat is that some versions of the software don't allow you to "see" everything in all views ,so you may need to edit those views and add CAD Lines as needed.

Here is the one I was working on today using the .dxf export method, in Pro 10....

post-25-0-73652300-1402368349_thumb.png

M.

I don't know the BHG Product , so can't say if it is equal to or better than Suite , I was thinking that all versions had Standard (Rendered)View and Vector View, but I've had Pro 10 for 5 yrs now? so the memory is dimmed on Suite's abilities :) though I remember it not showing Foundations ....

I think (correct me pls) if available printing to PDF will give you a better/more accurate Elevation than a Printed Jpeg if that is the only Options you have . Think the newer version can now Print Directly to PDF can't they? I use PDF995 a free pdf Print Driver for this. Its also handy for PDF "Printing" of the Online Tutorials.

M.

Edit:  Turning off Color and maybe Textures if that is an option in Suite ? may make for better printing too.

I see on the Matrix that Architectural has Vector views ,though I'd call Sales to Confirm you can do your Elevations before upgrading.

http://cloud.homedesignersoftware.com/1/pdf/product-info/2015/comparison-matrix.pdf

Yes, I can save as a pdf but it's saving an unscaled image.

Both the very old BHG Version 7.09 and 2015 Suite produce foundations - although they tend to disappear in the elevation view in the earlier version (and the later version doesn't produce a true elevation image anyway). But you can produce a foundation plan view in both.

Does Suite not allow Printing to Scale either ?

In Suite 8 they didn't show you the whole foundation either , thankfully a Chief user did it for me.  These days I have Pro ,though 1st I got Arch. to get past the foundation thing , then got Pro cos of the Manual Roof Planes etc.

Suite (any version) has never had text and dimensions in elevation views and it does not now.

Architetural 2015 and Home Designer Pro 2015 both have that capability and have had for several versions.

DJP

Thanks.

Does Architectural permit a scale elevation with a print to scale option? That's the feature that's the problem and which the old version (which I think was a BHG rebranded version of Essentials - as it only cost c.$50) permitted.

I'd be fine with upgrading to Architectural from Suite but the comparison product chart is not very helpful in this particular regard.

Tony

Does Architectural permit a scale elevation with a print to scale option?

Yes, you set up your "Drawing Sheet" and scaling before hand and then Architectural will then print to PDF or paper at that assigned scale. The steps are simple but unforgiving if you miss or overlook a step, like most software. It costs a little more but does more than Suite or Essentials was designed to do, Pro is even better and can print up to 18" x 24" paper or PDF.

DJP

Yes, you set up your "Drawing Sheet" and scaling before hand and then Architectural will then print to PDF or paper at that assigned scale. The steps are simple but unforgiving if you miss or overlook a step, like most software. It costs a little more but does more than Suite or Essentials was designed to do, Pro is even better and can print up to 18" x 24" paper or PDF.

DJP

Good. I can actually do all that, with those same steps (except on that paper size), in the old cheap version I have. At some point that functionality must have been dropped from cheaper versions to encourage people to buy the more expensive products.

Thanks.