Terrain data

Daydream

This is a pretty vague question.  There's a lot of resources in the software's Help, the videos, and the online Knowledge Base on creating terrain.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/category/72/0/10/Home-Designer/Terrain/

http://video.homedesigner.chiefarchitect.com/?search=terrain

If you're having a specific struggle, let us know and we'd be happy to try and help.

Check under your software's File> Import menu and in the software's Help to learn more about your options for you particular Home Designer title (might be good to add it to your signature so we don't have to ask each time). 

Here's a screenshot of my Pro 2015 Help on the available options.

post-35-0-52187100-1430780999_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the tip on the signature. However, another problem is I don't know how to get the terrain data in the first place in order to import to Chief in the 2nd place. So...... Any help that you give me at all will be helpful

I have never successfully imported terrain data. Let me clarify that, the resulting terrain plane is usually too complicated for most PC's to smoothly handle (too much data and 3D Faces). What I do that I have found most workable is to manually create (modulate) terrain using graphic terrain maps that I selectively trace over with elevation objects (lines, splines and regions mostly. I NEVER USE ELEVATION POINTS NOT EVER). You use as few elevation objects as is possible, make a change or change a value and then view the results, one change  at a time to keep the process under control.

DJP

A TopoSurvey would give you some good numbers to start with but importing a complicated one rather than just using the numbers from some of the main features can really bring your computer to it's knees graphics wise, so I usually do as David suggested above.  If your City has a GIS service there maybe some terrain data available there , not sure how helpful Google Earth is but the Pro version is now free and may have height data etc esp. if you are in the US.

M.