How to change direction of Colourbond/Metal Roofing

RobynKS

Hi all, I have a client with a Picket fence. She loves her fence but wants to increase the height and modernize the look.

I have tried to make a few examples for her to view. In the fence with the metal roofing in the base the corrugation is running the wrong way. I have searched for info to no avail. 

? How do I change the direction of the metal corrugation please.

I can explain to her that the corrugations will run the other way. However it seams every time we meet I am apologizing as I am unable to get the software to do what I want.

I would love to give her the examples the way they will be in real life.

Many Thanks Robyn

post-620-0-43170800-1430427247_thumb.png

you need to rotate the material using it's definition like this:

make a copy of the Material to your User Library ,rename it appropriately, then open the material and on the texture tab set the Angle to 90° instead of 0°

for Vector Views do the same thing on the Pattern Tab

Note that for some reason this does not work well with all textures for some reason.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mick. I did not get exactly what You meant but I got a great idea from your reply. In the hope that this post helps others ,  here is what I did. 

As Mick told me I wend to vector view of my fence samples. It can be selected under 3D scroll down to Rendering Techniques.

I clicked on the corrugated roofing on my fence.

Then On the define materials tool. Its a coloured ribbon next to the $sign near the eyedropper.

post-620-0-67776600-1430438231_thumb.png

Then have a look at the photo I have numbered my steps.

Good luck.

Thanks Mick you got my brain a working. x

looks like your roofing iron was already at 90° so you had to switch it to 0° (same as 180)

the only issue with what you have done is that you may have changed the definition of your LR Roofing to 0° in the library ( place on a roof to check) , which is why I suggested making a copy in the library of the material and renaming to a new material ( eg LRun Horizontal) , then rotating it and then applying the new material to the fence. This also allows you to use it in future plans.

M.

Beginners and teenagers know it all. LOL Thanks Mick. In this case I have a tiled roof so I was safe. I greatly appreciate your concerns and have ran some test plans . Someone upstairs must have been watching over me. x

David great video many thanks. x

Hi Mick I watched Davids video again with what you had explained to me in mind. I think the reason I was safe was,  I did not change the Pattern I only changed the texture. By only changing the texture it did not change my default material. A great lesson has been learned here by me, many thanks again to you and David.

Hi , In David's video it shows another way to make a new material to keep in your library for next time starting at about 4:15min in. which maybe easier to understand than my explanation above ,I can make a video of that too if you'd like.

I realise now you only changed the material  IN PLAN not in the Library , so the library material will be fine as you have seen.

I just had a look at the White Corrugated Material Definition and now see the Pattern is set to Strip , which is why the angle is needs to  be set to 90° for the Pattern but not the Texture (photo) , usually the Pattern and Texture angle must be the same so they both show the same in Standard or Vector Views.

apologies for any confusion.

M.

No apologizes needed Mick.  Your help is always welcome and even through I do not always understand what you are telling me, your comments always get me thinking and I am usually able to work through the subject. Therefore all forms of instruction are most welcome. Many Thanks Robyn. 

My next question is resizing I have posted a new topic and look forward to your replies. x