Dimensions

English

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Kat is correct in that the prefered method is to reduce fractions by moving the objects that display them. As a secondary method you can open Dimension Defaults (Edit - Default Settings - Dimensions) dialog and on the "Format" tab of that dialog there is an input box for "Smallest Fraction" but just keep in mind that you are then rounding off numbers and thus loose relative accuracy, it is a short-cut, if a lazy one.

DJP

Kat is correct in that the prefered method is to reduce fractions by moving the objects that display them. As a secondary method you can open Dimension Defaults (Edit - Default Settings - Dimensions) dialog and on the "Format" tab of that dialog there is an input box for "Smallest Fraction" but just keep in mind that you are then rounding off numbers and thus loose relative accuracy, it is a short-cut, if a lazy one.

DJP

David

I agree but when I have twenty dimensions across a wall for windows, doors, internal wall etc it is very time consuming.  Also when framing a house the accuracy is normally to one half inch -- if that.  In my experience framing crews hardly ever use fractions.  So for Smallest Fraction what do I input -- 0 for the nearest inch?

Thanks

Alan

• Solution

Enforcing inaccuracies on a plan is not recommended (by rounding off to the nearest inch or millimeter-centimeter) A better choice is to set the "Smallest Fraction" to your prefered fraction (in most cases I use 1/2" in the USA BUT only with the concurrence of my client, most of my clients are builders). Otherwise, I just manually reduce the fractions per object. Manual reduction of fractions is time consuming but when you are working on a renovation or addition you do not want to play "fast and loose" with dimensions as errors cost my clients money and ruin my reputation as a designer-draftsperson. That sort of decision is a personal one but should not be made lightly.

DJP