Import elevation data

vinvinny

Is there a step by step guide to acquiring then importing elevation data for Home Designer Suite 2014? 

I have been only able to find information on how to import data already compiled in GPS or XYZ coordinates. 

If possible could someone provide the information from the start i.e go to Google Earth, MapQuest, or similar program and export the data this way...... then this is how to import to HDS. 

Thank you in advance. 

I am a twenty-year user, I use Chief Architect Inc software to make a living. I am not an employee of Chief Inc. I have tried several times to directly import GPS data and surveyor maps in .dxf format and my conclusion is that yes it can be done but the results obtained are mostly too complex for most PC's and Mac's to easily handle due to their unnecessary complexity.

In other words yes the software is programmed to do that job and does it well, my point is that such imports are overly complex, they create too many "3D Faces or (triangles which form the 3D Faces of a terrain plane"; each particle of each face is expressed in computer language as to its virtual location (x,y,z axis), its color etc and this is communicated to your video card. If you were able to write down how much language that is required to communicate a complex object it would be many pages of charectors and this reading per unit of time is past the capacity of most computers to visually communicate per second.

What I do on a daily basis is to scan a site plan or topo map and then import that into the software, then make sure it is scaled properly, then trace over it with elevation splines, lines and elevation regions objects using as few as is possitle so I form the terrain as I need (I do NOT ever use elevation points as they are harder-more time consuming to edit afte the fact (too small to easily see). When  I get the terrain plane modulated as I require, I then delete the terrain map image or scan and then set the terrain object TO the house (you NEVER adjust the house structure to the terrain plane but rather adjust the terrain as an abject to the house or structure.

This I have found is the most workable way to get this result as opposed to direct imports/conversions of line entites or other tine-based imports from other sources.It requires patience and being methodical but produces the best product with the least amount of problems.

DJP

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Elevation Data is setup when you import it , so you need to know what type, the elevation data is before doing so , other wise you'll need to experiment with different options.

There is pretty good info Your Reference Manual , for me in Pro it is on page 529, but Option may vary depending on what Version of the HD Software you have.

( the Reference Manual is downloaded separately from the Program, if you don't already have it look at Help>view Ref. Manual, which will download the PDF, don't forget the save it to your Computer once open)

M.

• 3 months later...

Hi David,

I paid a surveyor to create topo data, figured out the somewhat awkward process of importing the various layers (key is to turn of the auto origin reorientation), and saved my final topo/elevation data as a separate file.  It looks good.  In a separate file I was working on my house designs, got my house to a good place, then copied and pasted the house data into the file with the topo data.  It all works.... but it's PAINFULLY slow to edit--even with all terrain displays turned off.  Not only that, but I can't see to delete the elevation data; you can 'clear terrain', but this doesn't work, it's still really bogged down.

Do you know of any way to get rid of this data once it's imported?  I tried making a big Selection Area - All Floors to try and cut/paste the house data only into a new file, but it doesn't work properly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark Holmes

HDP2015 running natively on a Macbook Pro

As I demonstrate in my video above, I take it slow adding an elevation object at a time and then checking the results with camera views. Importing a lot of data all at once is not recommended (by me) due to the difficulty in sorting it out after the fact. Keep it simple and done gradiently so errors show up immediately and are corrected or edited one at a time, This makes the process more managable. It is a methodical, slow, plodding process but can speed up as you gain your own certainty of cause and effect.

DJP

That's helpful for the next project that I start from scratch.  But now I have elevation point data embedded in an existing file that is getting bogged down.  Is there a way to delete that data?  I've experimented a lot with various layers and can't seem to isolate and remove the data.  The tools that explicitly deal with terrain (either 'clear terrain' or CMD-SPACE and delete terrain data) doesn't remove the imported point data.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

Not sure what HD title/version you have, but in HDP 15 you could try:

1. Menu: Edit -> Delete Objects ...
  2. Select 'All Floors'
  3. Check 'Terrain Objects', uncheck all other objects
  4. Click on 'Delete', then click on 'Done'
  5. Menu: Terrain -> Build Terrain

This also deletes the Terrain Perimeter. You will have to go to floor 1 and recreate it.

Hope this helps