Gable trouble

Castlehill

Hi, this is my first design - seemed easy in my head but getting HD Suite to achieve the same has me baffled. 

I've got a pretty simple two module structure. The first is 1.5 floors and the other is just a standard single floor. The modules are offset but (hopefully) connected and I want Gable ends. The first picture highlights what I am attempting to do. However to create this I cheated by having two entirely separate modules to get the roof right - see second image showing this break. When I connect the modules in the centre it throws the roof out and I send up with an odd hip configuration on the smaller module or equally random messing with settings I get a really high pitch between the two modules. I'm guessing it is to do with how I treat the central wall that the modules share, but I can't find any help on this, hence turning to the forum. 

Help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jem

(note I did this in HD Architectural Trial version but have since bought HD Suite and have the same issue)

post-2685-0-95711000-1429781803_thumb.png

post-2685-0-09066200-1429781806_thumb.png

Thanks for the replies. Yes it works fine until I try to get the second floor on to one module. 

I can get this to work by including an external wall between the modules. The "kitchen" module is a single floor and I make each end wall full gable. In the "living module" I leave the walls default and build a manual second floor and to that each end wall is full gable. Then I build the roof and all is OK. 

However, this only works if the smaller modules (kitchen) roof lines are all within the larger - as soon as I push the kitchen module out to make it wider, I get an odd additional roof between the two. 

Hopefully the pictures make more sense of this.

post-2685-0-91190900-1429870044_thumb.png

post-2685-0-94243100-1429870055_thumb.png

post-2685-0-73653900-1429870066_thumb.png

You are correct with the 2nd floor build being manual  ("use blank plan option")  , I didn't see the issue at 1st as my single storey addition wasn't wide enough to cause it and I didn't see it in your original post, that's why it's good to post the plan, ie different conditions get different results.

The trick is to build the outer wall at a location where the Roof is correct in height but make the overhang on that wall a distance equal too the overhang you really want + the distance you need to move the wall out to be in the correct location and let the Roof rebuild , then turn off Auto Build Roofs and move the wall to its final destination under the already completed roof. You will have to play around with things but easier if you have the real measurements is my guess.

You can however NEVER turn auto roofs back on as walls can't be locked and a rebuild will bring the issue back , so depending on what else you need in Plan with a roof you may need to do this very last thing as far as the structure goes.

M

post-25-0-85887800-1429897015_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-49010500-1429897032_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-77399400-1429897135_thumb.jpg

is there a reason your buildings are offset the opposite side in the posted plan vs what your pics show above? they also abut totally differently than your pic shows ie 1m section vs 3m section , I ask cos different situations may/will  get different results and the posted plan isn't what you post in the OP.

M.

David - thanks so much for your post and the youtube clip, super helpful. I suspected that Suite (and more my current skill level!) was causing the issue here. I didn't think I would find a limitation that would affect me in Suite so soon but there you go.

Mick - my opening post was done in Pro (trial) and I couldn't get the roof line to work so created two separate modules just to get the overall look sorted. I then purchased Suite and focussed on sorting roof line first hence the change. I don't think my post was as clear as it could have been but I needed the two roof lines well separated. Your plans had the smaller module working inside the larger eaves which is cool but not what I needed as an end result. I exaggerated this in the later posts to force the smaller module roof centre outside the eaves of the larger module - sorry if I wasted your time, I'll be sure to post a plan in the opening next time.

Thanks again.

Its not really a limitation with Suite in this situation , even Pro or Chief Premier can't do it auto as you Saw in David's video , but in either it is easily fixed with the manual Roof tools , the technique in post 5 works for the original conditions (OP)  but will not work for the plan you posted due to the length of the touching/abutting section , but there maybe a solution with invisible walls etc , this is something Forum User Jo_Ann is good at , so I'd recommend posting a plan and some pics of your floor plan with dimensions too , as She won't be able to open a 2016 plan as I can.

M.

Not sure you can open this as it's done in Pro 10 but it's the plan from post #5 , though I didn't have your real measurements which will make all the difference on what can/can't be done.

Offset gable buildings.plan

This is what I was able to model with HDA10.   However, when I opened the file in HDA2015 trial, it refused to cut off the attic walls at the roof.  :huh:

That is why I did not upload the plan (still trying to figure it out).

post-63-0-64892800-1430420809_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-46312000-1430420826_thumb.jpg

Thx for having a look Jo :)   I was able to do what's in the OP but not what was in the posted plan (totally different condition) but Jem hasn't respond as to what the real conditions /measurements are yet.

you could post the HDA10 plan , I'd like to see your method too Thx.    Strange that HDA '15 is doing something different.

I figured out it was the gable overhang size causing the problem when opening HDA10 plan in a newer program version.  :wacko:

I hope this plan looks correct, when opened.  It would have helped to know the roof pitch, and the exterior wall height on the 2nd floor of the living module.  Also, the metric conversion of dimensions was confusing for me. :blink:

To the right of the skylight (pic 2) a portion of the fascia is missing.  Not all things are possible, I guess.   Maybe something can be found in the library to fill it in, because I don't think sloped soffits have been added to Suite.

off-set roof.zip

It would have helped to know the roof pitch, and the exterior wall height on the 2nd floor of the living module.  Also, the metric conversion of dimensions was confusing for me. :blink:

you can enter dimensions into the DBX's as metric ( eg 33m=1299 3/16"  case sensitive so 33M doesn't work) and it will auto convert them to imp. or vica versa if needed, same as you can enter 3.5 for 3 1/2" etc. 

Nice use of (hidden) windows and the double wall coverup  :)

setting the ceiling to  use soffit in the kitchen area cured the hole in the drywall where the window is it looks like......

Can HDA edit walls in 3D?  pulling up the wall  left of the opening looking into the eating room cured your missing fascia but not sure HDA has Wall Polylines to play with.

post-25-0-26257300-1430446222_thumb.jpg

M.